Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Add More Information For Home Files

Is it possible to add more information to home video and TV shows/movies that i have imported my self not though the iTunes store.

itunes-OTHER

Posted on May 1, 2016 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 6:28 PM

I have been doing some research and it seem to be that you can use a third party software to do so.

7 replies

May 3, 2016 9:18 AM in response to pandamike118

Hey there! I believe I'm familiar with what you're asking. You're looking for a program to gather the metadata for movies and tv shows you put in iTunes, but didn't purchase through the iTunes Store? If that is correct....try a to get an app for Mac called iDentify or iDentify 2. I got it a few years ago through Macupdate, but there is an app in the Mac App Store as well for $9.99. There is info on the developer site that the app in the Mac App Store had a glitch, but that info is here: http://identify2.arrmihardies.com/.

IF you decide to try your luck downloading it from the Macupdate site just be aware that any downloads from that site should be inspected to be sure nothing "extra" like malware or something similar has been added to the download package. The app itself though, "iDentify", is fine though. Once you learn how to use it, it's pretty awesome.

Hope this helps!

~DenMotherNinja

*hosts...this is not spam.

May 2, 2016 6:09 PM in response to pandamike118

You don't need any third-party software. All you do is right-click on the file in iTunes and Get Info on it (Command+I). First confirm that the Mefia Kind is set correctly under the Options tab. This matters as there are different editable fields for each kind (TV Show, Movie, etc).

If you don't know the info you want to add, search for it in a browser, or a site such as IMDb.

May 2, 2016 6:29 PM in response to pandamike118

rysz is right as...you don't NEED a third party program. But if you sont want to enter all the information manually for each item...check out iDentify. I'm sure there are other programs...I just have personal experience with that one.

I Didn't come back just to say that though lol...Rysz brought up something I forgot. Kind of a tip for if you decide to try that app. in the file you want the metadata for...as Rysz stated...in "get info" then the "options" menu...make sure the "media kind" is changed from "home video" to the right type. That little rid bit will cause the app to not pull the data or save the file back to iTunes once done. Took me some blog reading to get that.

(rysz: totes not trying to step on toes, just trying to help where I've seen things work for me.)

May 3, 2016 3:32 PM in response to pandamike118

The information you are looking for, i.e. The cast and crew, summary, release date, etc is known as the "metadata" of a media file like music and movie files in itunes.

While Rysz is correct in making sure your media type is selected correctly is an important first step and helpful, making that change doesn't get u the metadata you are looking to acquire. When you change the media type it allows iTunes to categorize the file in a certain way which is helpful moving forward. But after that is done you still have to Google search the details you're interested in. This is possible and you can manually enter each item from IMDb or themoviedb website, which will have the info you're wanting.

However, if you want to save yourself the hassle of hours of copy and pasting that info...try an app like I mentioned. But be careful to watch for malware and adware attachments to files you download from the interwebs. They can get ya.

IF you need more hands on screen shot steps I can provide them later this evening. Let me know if I can help any more.

How To Add More Information For Home Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.