Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cases to prevent iPad Air 2 from overheating in the sun?

Hi, I purchased an iPad Air 2 just under a month ago. While I enjoy it thoroughly for the most part, I was disappointed when I brought my iPad up to the rooftop to do some reading and within minutes it effectively shut down, telling me I'd have to wait for it to cool down. Are there any cases that would cool it down or offer a fan of some sort, like you'd find for a laptop? I currently have a case on it that was recommended to me by an Apple staff member, but if there's one that would allow to me to read outside, I'd certainly make the switch. Thank you!

iPad 2, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 1, 2016 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 10:33 PM

The cases recommended by Apple staff are likely to be the type of cases meant to protect against damage from impact, and exposure to liquid. Although there are third-party cooling cases that exist for older models of the iPad, there are none that I am aware of for the iPad Air series of iPad. Even if such cases are manufactured for the iPad, they are not likely going to be able to combat the negative effects of using your iPad in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time. The iPad is designed to operate under temperatures ranging from 32 - 95F (0-35C). Going above or below those ranges can adversely affect the immediate or long term performance of your iPad.

The reason your iPad gave you the warning message in question is because iOS has a built-in safeguard to automatically cease the current task, and display a warning once the device has exceeded the temperature range specified above. Your best bet is to avoid using your iPad in direct sunlight, or reduce the amount of time spent using your iPad in direct sunlight. For more information on this topic, please refer to the Apple Support article on keeping your device within acceptable operating temperatures

Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Best of luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 10:33 PM in response to abbyrhoade

The cases recommended by Apple staff are likely to be the type of cases meant to protect against damage from impact, and exposure to liquid. Although there are third-party cooling cases that exist for older models of the iPad, there are none that I am aware of for the iPad Air series of iPad. Even if such cases are manufactured for the iPad, they are not likely going to be able to combat the negative effects of using your iPad in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time. The iPad is designed to operate under temperatures ranging from 32 - 95F (0-35C). Going above or below those ranges can adversely affect the immediate or long term performance of your iPad.

The reason your iPad gave you the warning message in question is because iOS has a built-in safeguard to automatically cease the current task, and display a warning once the device has exceeded the temperature range specified above. Your best bet is to avoid using your iPad in direct sunlight, or reduce the amount of time spent using your iPad in direct sunlight. For more information on this topic, please refer to the Apple Support article on keeping your device within acceptable operating temperatures

Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Best of luck.

Cases to prevent iPad Air 2 from overheating in the sun?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.