Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Popping ads and freezing links.

Hi. Downloaded some video software, and now new tabs automatically open and claim to be Apple, saying I have to install something. Also: when this happens, I have to restart Safari before being able to click anymore links. Finally, there is a hug tab that appears on the right - Target ads, blocking abolity to see part of window. Tried adjusting settings and uninstalling... Is a reboot necessary?

Posted on May 1, 2016 1:35 PM

3 replies

May 1, 2016 2:10 PM in response to bohozone

bohozone wrote:

Hi. Downloaded some video software, and now new tabs automatically open and claim to be Apple, saying I have to install something. Also: when this happens, I have to restart Safari before being able to click anymore links. Finally, there is a hug tab that appears on the right - Target ads, blocking abolity to see part of window. Tried adjusting settings and uninstalling... Is a reboot necessary?

It sounds like you have malware or adware on your hard drive. You have two options available to remove it:

• Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for Mac. It was developed by a trusted and respected contributor here. It's a simple, non- intrusive program that deletes known malware/adware from your hard drive. That's all it does. It doesn't add anything and it doesn't take away anything else.
  • Follow the directions in this Apple support article to remove it manually --> http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

In the future, do not download anything from either a torrent or an aggregate download site (CNET, Download (dot) com, MacUpdate, Softpedia, Softonic, etc.). Only download applications/plugins/extensions/drivers from the developer's own website or the Mac App Store.

Popping ads and freezing links.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.