Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Track Levels On Export Should Default to "ORIGINAL"

Hello,

I run a recording studio. We don't use Logic, but many of our clients do.

Without fail, when we get data exported from Logic, the level of each file is miniscule, like 5% of maximum gain. This reduces the resolution of the sounds severely and we're usually stuck making a mix out of needlessly damaged, degraded ingredients.

I don't understand why Logic even has this as a feature. Maybe some amateur user once in awhile might want to preserve the levels of the tracks so he could export and import into a session with all the faders at unity gain, but that is an incorrect idea if you care about audio quality. No professional user would intentionally degrade files this way.

So I think this "feature" should be discarded, or at least, out of the box, the preference defaults to exporting each file at its original volume, not fader-dependent.

You would be doing your users a big favor, even if they don't understand why. And believe me, when I explain this their eyes glaze over.

Thanks

DZ

Posted on May 1, 2016 1:33 PM

15 replies

May 1, 2016 4:46 PM in response to danzocat

This is a user to user forum. Apple never come here - ever.

I don't use the function you're talking about in Logic X but maybe some users here do and may be able to comment. Is this happening with your clients using a specific version and iteration of Logic or has it always happened, going back to Logic 9.x.x or even 8.x.x.

Someone may be able to give pointers on how your clients can avoid this otherwise a bug report directly to Apple would be in order.

I have, however, exported many songs as straight wavs at the original sample rate and bit depth with no change to the recorded level of the tracks (i.e. not following the fader position). They have always gone into colleagues ProTools system exactly as they went out of my Logic system although I still use Logic 9.1.8 and have not moved to Logic X as my main working system.

May 2, 2016 10:16 AM in response to danzocat

danzocat wrote:

Oh, and without fail, the files are stereo, which also is redundant and inconvenient for people mixing on a console, consumes double the space and processing resources, etc. Please, I don't need stereo kick drums, etc. This needs to be made brain dead easy for your users.

It's not Logic's fault that the next-gen of Logic users know absolutely nothing about audio recording and apparently don't care to learn. The software does not need to be dumbed down, like any professional program, users need to educate themselves on how to use it.

Mono <-> Stereo = User Error

Recorded Low Levels = User Error

Exporting Files works exactly as expected!

May 2, 2016 10:22 AM in response to Pancenter

I couldn't disagree more. This "feature" is just moronic. The only reason for it would be to preserve mix levels so that someone running other software could park faders at unity and have the same balance.... albeit at the cost of ruining the audio. And paying users shouldn't have to disable a feature they don't understand. Removing this feature or at least making normal export the default would be an intelligent move. Musicians and amateur producers may not devour manuals as you might wish them to, but that doesn't change the fact that they are Apple's customers, and that they are poorly served by this.

May 2, 2016 10:53 AM in response to danzocat

If users want less choices and dumbed down software they can use Garageband...

Some of the tracks, if they are software instrument should be in stereo as they have stereo output.

Recorded tracks, vocals, bass, guitar...ect, can be mono or stereo depending on how they're recorded.

What you are seeing is the result of Apple reducing the price $1,000, --> $500 --> $200 and removing any software protection, the program is now heavily pirated and often in the hands of users with zero background in recording. Apple does have a comprehensive manual online as well as video tutorials, plus there's a few thousand Logic video tutorials on youtube, some of them quite decent.

Actual musicians who give a d@mn about their product do take the time to learn the basics of the tools they're using.

May 2, 2016 11:24 AM in response to Pancenter

I live in the real world, dealing with real Apple customers. I know you don't appreciate people who fail to assiduously study the craft, but they're born every day, and they pay money for professional services, fortunately. I wish Apple recognized this and did not combine "automation" with the static "fader position" when there is no automation on the track in an export as a single option. If that's dumbing it down from your point of view, maybe you could lobby for more needless features folks need to disable.

May 2, 2016 12:34 PM in response to danzocat

danzocat wrote:

I live in the real world, dealing with real Apple customers. I know you don't appreciate people who fail to assiduously study the craft, but they're born every day, and they pay money for professional services,

If they're willing to pay money for professional services and yet can't take 5-minutes to learn what they're doing they deserve the product they get. Also, if the files are 24-bit, recording level makes little difference, it's not like the old days of 16-bit tracks recorded at low levels. I imagine you're seeing tracks that were recorded with cheap audio interfaces and/or by users that have very little knowledge of the recording process.

It's not the software's fault, I've used both Cubase and ProTools, Logic is not much different from either, in fact they're far more alike than different.

May 2, 2016 2:20 PM in response to danzocat

Nothing is wrong with Logics export, automation is not only fader moves, pop or dance producers use a lot of automations ( filters etc) to get sound what is needed and of course want to keep that in final mix, even mix is done on console. There is choise- plugins, no plugins, automation or no, depend of situation. If someone is not smart enough, to make 1-2 mouse clicks in clear export dialogue box, maybe let profi helps them.

Track Levels On Export Should Default to "ORIGINAL"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.