Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Photos for mac going to be improved?

I transferred most of my photos from IPhoto to Photos.

IPhoto worked very well with batch changes of names places etc

Also I could find photos by location, date etc

You cannot sort photos by date (except date entered in the system and I have thousands of photos scanned from years ago)

You cannot get photos by location so you cannot find photos easily like you could in Iphoto

Whoever introduced photos is totally incompetent

Is it being fixed or should I migrate everything back to Iphoto or should I find another system - either on mac or PC

Thanks

Geoff Lubbock😟

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on May 1, 2016 3:14 PM

39 replies

May 1, 2016 4:24 PM in response to Geoffreylubbock

Sorry but you actually have to share information for use to help and yu have to bother to learn how to use new software - all new software has a learning curve

You posted in the iPhoto for Mac forum and state that you have OS X 10.6.2 which can not run Photos - what do you actually have?

In the current version of Photos (OS X 10.11.4 and Photos 1.5)

1 - You batch change names, locations, keywords,etc by selectin a group of photos and getting info and entering the information you want - it is applied to all selected photos

2 - You can find photos by location, date, etc using the search command or smart albums (file menu ==> new smart album)

3 - you can sort photos in user albums by title and by date ascending and descending - and you can make your own "all photos" album using a smart album with a criteria that everything matches like date is before 1/1/5000 - then you can sort it as you want

4 - yes you can get photos by location (see #2) - search on text like Italy or use a smart album for description includes the location

and of course who ever introduced Photos is certainly not incompetent - they just expect users to bother to learn how to use the software - overall a great idea for all of life

LN

May 2, 2016 11:26 AM in response to Geoffreylubbock

There's nothing to fix in Photos as there's nothing broken. It works as it's designed to do. Larry has pointed out how to replicate many of the features from iPhoto. That's being continually improved with each new release of El Capitan and, with it, Photos.

These user tips may give you some insight in using Photos:

Photos 1.5 vs iPhoto 9.6.1: Features and Capabilities

Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

Moments in Photos are the New Events

External Editors in Photos Are Here

iPhoto is on its death bed. It has not been updated in over a year and it can no longer order any products from the Apple online Products Print Store. It won't be long until it will no longer be incompatible with the system.

In my opinion one should use Photos and learn to make the most of it. It has much more advanced editing capabilities and with the inexpensive External Editors For Photos from the App Store one can use any image editor they have in their Application folder.

And Apple has been responsive to requests for feature additions. Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

May 3, 2016 3:32 AM in response to Geoffreylubbock

Be sure to upgrade to MacOS X 10.11.5 if you want to use Photos for Mac. The El Capitan upgrade brought quite a few improvements and stability fixes.

In addition to the previous posts:

Photos has similar capabilities to iPhoto, but the workflows and the user interface are very different.

• In iPhoto you had 8and could) structure the library using events.Phots is doing this automatically for you. The Moments are grouping the photos by the capture date and the place. All photos taken at the same place at the same time will create a moment. And related moments will be grouped as collections.
  • To access photos by the date use the year, collections, or moments view and click a a date.
  • To access photos by the location use the year, collections, or moments view and click on the name of a place in the title. It will show the photos grouped on a map. On the map click the stack of photos to reveal them.
  • User uploaded file

May 3, 2016 1:38 PM in response to LarryHN

Larry

Thanks

I had no idea that when I clicked on all photos at the top of the page and it had all views greyed out except "keep sorted by oldest date added" which was useless, that I could set up an album with all photos and do the proper sort. VERY USEFUL

One problem in looking for help is that any query using the word photos brings in every generic definition. Whereas Iphotos specifically addressed Iphoto.

I did hours of research and only found dissatisfied people with no answers so your answer is helpful.

As for location I am having difficulty accessing geographic information.

In Iphoto you could bring up a map and click on it and get all the photos at the location drilling down form the globe level.

I cannot get this to work for me.

It seems form your reply that the location must have a name in the text description that you have to remember to access it. this is of no use to me.

Finally please can you help me as to how I can send photos through outlook.

I used this extensively and Iphoto had a very helpful option of sizing the photos you was sending.

With Photos I have to export the full sized photos and then use another program to resize them. This alone makes Iphoto much more useful to me than Photos unless there is a work around here also.

I am using OS X El Capitan version 10.11.4 (I understand from my internet research that 10.11.5 is a beta version and is only available to beta testers)

Photos is Version 1.5 (370.42.0)

In summary, if you can solve the outlook send problem and the geographic problem I would be very grateful

Thank you for taking the time to help. This has been immensely frustrating for me.

May 3, 2016 2:05 PM in response to Geoffreylubbock

Outlook does not work directly with Photos and will not until MS updates it - I do not use it but I believe that in the latest version you can use the media browser (in every open/attach/upload window in the source pane on the left toward the bottom under media ==> photos ==> Photos) and you aways can export photos to a desktop folder and use from there - and in the export window you can resize the photos (if that option is not showing click on the v to the right of JPEG to open all options to view - this is available in several Photos windows

As to seeing on a Map Léonie posted those directions in this thread

LN

May 3, 2016 3:35 PM in response to LarryHN

Bottom line

You cannot use outlook with Photos like you could with Iphoto.

This is a huge inconvenience and the work arounds are clumsy and time consuming/

Also since I added locations in Iphoto to scanned photographs, the geographic stuff does not work.

It was great in Iphoto to get the whole world and see where every shot was located.

My titles go not have location names.

Frankly I do not understand what Leonie is trying to say buy it seems clear you cannot access all locations in any simple way

The comment

"To access photos by the location use the year, collections, or moments view and click on the name of a place in the title. It will show the photos grouped on a map"

I cannot find any view called year, collections or moments.

And if the location needs to be in the title - it is not in most of my titles. Rather it is included in the location information.

Thanks for your help on the all photos question

It was totally illogical that it would not work for all photos but would work for an album entitled all photos

I remain extremely frustrated but I do appreciate all your efforts to help.

Geoff 😢

May 3, 2016 5:08 PM in response to Geoffreylubbock

Frankly I do not understand what Leonie is trying to say buy it seems clear you cannot access all locations in any simple way

The comment

"To access photos by the location use the year, collections, or moments view and click on the name of a place in the title. It will show the photos grouped on a map"

I cannot find any view called year, collections or moments.

And if the location needs to be in the title - it is not in most of my titles. Rather it is included in the location information.Simple

Simple -- In Photos click on Photos and you will get moments - click on the > to the right of the date and a map will appear showing the photos in the moment - in the top menu bar to the right of the red/yellow/green buttons you have left and right arrows "< >" click on the left arrow "<" to go to collections and again to go to years - in each of those (except maybe years - if you have too many different locations in a year the > is not there - you click the > to the right of the category title to get a map

Léonie explained this and provides an image to show you how it works

As to Outlook tell MS - as I explained to you they are the ones who need to upgrade their software

Outlook does not work directly with Photos and will not until MS updates it

As I previously stated

you have to bother to learn how to use new software - all new software has a learning curve

The fact that you have not bothered to learn how it works does not make it bad software - people who have bothered to learn it generally like it much better than iPhoto and it is much more capable than iPhoto in every area - especially editing and system integrattion

LN

May 4, 2016 11:10 AM in response to LarryHN

As to Outlook tell MS - as I explained to you they are the ones who need to upgrade their software

Microsoft did that - the new releases of the Office software are compatible with Photos on El Capitan:

Outlook 15.13.4 can show all photo libraries in the Photo Browser, and also access them from the "File > Open" dialog in the Media Browser.

The only problem is, that upgrading to Office 365 or Office 2016 is a paid upgrade. It is unlikely, that Office 2011 will be updated to work with Photos for Mac.

In Outlook 15.13.4:

User uploaded file

May 4, 2016 11:17 AM in response to LarryHN

Larry

Again I have problems

There is no map because I have 24,000 photos.

I have hundreds of categories - some with one or two photos.

So I cannot get the map when I click to the right of moments and I have to go to categories

It is not of much use to me to get one or two photos with a map

I want to see all my photos by country, or region, or town or street like I could with Iphoto

If yo can help me do this I would be grateful

Thanks

Geoffrey Lubbock

May 4, 2016 12:11 PM in response to Geoffreylubbock

There are several levels of maps:

If you select the "Photos" view or the "All Photos" album and open the Info panel, you will see all places in the tiny thumbnail map and can scroll or zoom this map even with close to 40000 photos in the library.

User uploaded file

The Photos View with the years has a glitch, however. The Years will list the countries, and if you visited more than seven countries in a certain year, the list of places will be empty for that year. Oceans and seas will count as a country as well. For some years I used the work-around to hide all photos taken from then plane while doing long distance flights, to reduce the number of countries and oceans in that year: as long as the list of countries is no longer than seven, you can access the maps for that year from the titles with the places names: It is not depending on the number of photos but the number of places (countries for the year views).

User uploaded file

May 4, 2016 12:04 PM in response to Geoffreylubbock

right now the option is to get a map of the photos in a moment, a collection or a year with a limit I believe of seven countries

tell Apple what you need http://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

And I'm not even sure what you are trying to solve - the thread started with no real question but just an off the wall and incorrect editorial and has evolved into a number of questions

Try asking a clear question with no editorials in it - just facts - maybe reading this will help - Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question

for example this makes no sense

Having 24,000 photos does not eliminate maps - no number of photos does

as does this

I have hundreds of categories - some with one or two photos.

So I cannot get the map when I click to the right of moments and I have to go to categories

It is not of much use to me to get one or two photos with a map

There are no "categories" in Photos - Im guessing that you mean Moments

which makes no sense because each moment will show you a map as well each collection

LN

May 5, 2016 3:26 PM in response to LarryHN

Larry

I apologize if I ask questions poorly.

My questions were:

!. I could not send photos to outlook. Leonie answered it by saying that it would only work if I paid to upgrade my outlook. Helpful.

2. I could not sort Photos by anything other than "date added". You solved this by saying that I could not use "Photos" but had to make an album with "all photos" (I could find this no where else on Apples manual/help so it was extremely useful).

3. I could not find photos by location. With Iphoto, you could click on the little red dot of location for any photo and it would bring up all the photos at that location and you could also go to other locations and see the photos at that location. If I go to Photos, it shows no locations. If I go to my album "all photos" it shows all the locations but I cannot access the photos at each location by clicking on the red pin as I did in iphoto. In fact if I go to any album or any event it shows all locations but clicking on the red pin will not segregate photos by location. Thus if I have an album say of 2000 photos and it is of Boston but there is a pin showing Italy as well, I have to go through the 2000 photos to find the one of Italy and put it in the correct album.

You are correct that I am no expert in Photos. I found Iphoto easy to use and instructions easy to find and follow.

The Photos help is mostly pushing the sale of icloud.

If there is a book that would help me I would be pleased to buy it and stop bothering you with my questions that are poorly phrased.

In any case thank you for helping me. I am grateful for the time and effort you are making to help me.

Geoffrey Lubbock

May 5, 2016 4:21 PM in response to Geoffreylubbock

1 - I answered that early on

Outlook does not work directly with Photos and will not until MS updates it - I do not use it but I believe that in the latest version you can use the media browser (in every open/attach/upload window in the source pane on the left toward the bottom under media ==> photos ==> Photos) and you aways can export photos to a desktop folder and use from there - and in the export window you can resize the photos (if that option is not showing click on the v to the right of JPEG to open all options to view - this is available in several Photos windows

As to seeing on a Map Léonie posted those directions in this thread

2 - and I answered this in my first post too

you can sort photos in user albums by title and by date ascending and descending - and you can make your own "all photos" album using a smart album with a criteria that everything matches like date is before 1/1/5000 - then you can sort it as you want

3 - yes the procedures are different (as stated in my first post there is a learning curve)

you have to bother to learn how to use new software - all new software has a learning curve

To find the one of Italy search on "italy" or make a smart album for text contains "italy"

And no one is pushing iCloud - it is a great service and very useful but totally optional and nothing about iCloud has anything to do with any of your complaints or questions - random editorials like this are not helpful to helping your solve actual, real problems

As to books - probably but I've not needed them - between the Photos overview, Photos help file , experimenting and asking clear questions here I've not needed a book - for books search Amazon.com

LN

Is Photos for mac going to be improved?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.