Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for the perfect config for 2013 Mac Pro.

Hello. I am looking for a new Mac Pro and based on video reviews and online reviews, I want to get the new 2013 Mac Pro. I really the small size because it reminds me of the Mac Mini. I am a casual user and am not a pro that this computer is used for. I will be using my new Mac for video transcoding and some video editing. The apps I will be using will be Final Cut Pro X, Apple Compressor, and HandBrake. Other than video work, I will be browsing the Internet, watching videos and tv shows, listening to music, etc.

For the configuration based on my budget, I will be starting with the base model and upgrading from the quad core to the hex/six core CPU for $500 more. I can't go with the eight and twelve cores because they're too expensive for me, ranging from $2k to $3.5k. Starting from 12GB RAM to 16GB RAM for an additional $100 and the extra 4GB RAM just in case and to fill all of the available RAM slots. Upgrading from stock 256GB to 1TB PCIe SSD because internal space is important. As for the graphics card, I am not sure which one will be best for me and I hope that you guys can help me decide based on my needs. I know that FCPX will utilize the CPU and GPU. I think that the other apps will utilize the CPU because video transcoding is dependent on the CPU more than the GPU. I may be wrong, though, as I am no computer wizard.

I hope to get this Mac for Christmas this year. Please help me. Thank you.

Mac Pro

Posted on May 1, 2016 3:17 PM

4 replies

May 1, 2016 7:13 PM in response to TechRocks

You pay dearly for the internal SSD capacity. The internal SSD is intended as the Boot/System Drive. It is not nearly large enough for most Video production. Your files are expected to be stored on other drives.

If you have one or two drives in simultaneous use, you can use USB-3, but beyond that you will need ThunderBolt drives.

If you were willing to wait longer for your video editing to finish, almost any Mac could do the rest of those jobs for you, at a much lower price..

May 1, 2016 8:01 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I know that the internal drive is the main system drive, but I have a habit of copying files from external drives on to the main drive for faster access and along with applications, there might be temporary files created by the applications that are in use so I want to make sure that I have enough space to work with. I could wait longer for the transcoding and exporting to finish, but I don't think I want to. But, yes, video transcoding and exporting takes time.

Oh, and this Mac Pro will be replacing a 2009 Mac Pro that I bought refurbished online and the fans on the 2009 model are noisy enough to drown out the sound coming from the TV while its doing its thing. I hope the 2013 model is quiet and silent while its working and as I'm waiting for it to complete its tasks.

May 1, 2016 8:10 PM in response to TechRocks

If you need more RAM, you CAN mix sizes in the different memory slots. The memories in these Macs will pair for an extremely modest speed increase (so small no one has bothered to write about it) when pairs are installed. 4GB and 8GB DIMMs can be mixed freely.

16GB DIMMs are "Registered" DIMMs, and do NOT mix and match. If you install any 16GB DIMMs, all the unRegistered smaller DIMMs have to go.

Remember that a lot of the throughput of such a system is gated by I/O speed -- not just raw drive speed, but different drives available for Source, Destination, Scratch, and System, so that they do not compete with each other.

Looking for the perfect config for 2013 Mac Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.