Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tools to reduce flashing?

I know there's an accessibility setting to switch everything to grayscale.

There's f.lux to change everything's color balance.

There's easy on the eyes and a couple other tools to reduce brightness. Useful for exxternal screens with excessively bright minimum brightness.

Are there tools to reduce flashing? It would be technically difficult to reduce animation, but maybe it would be possible to reduce brightness changes.

I suppose it's a long shot.

I have sunglasses, but they don't do much to protect against flashing.

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 1, 2016 2:35 PM

6 replies

May 3, 2016 3:13 PM in response to Marja E

The sunglasses do protect against certain wavelengths.

It might be technically easier to create a tool allowing users to dim specific wavelengths. 700 nm seems to be a relatively common problem range.

I'd had no luck looking under "migraines," but there's "ClaroView" under "dyslexia" on the App Store. Has anyone here had success with ClaroView?

May 10, 2016 6:42 PM in response to Marja E

F.lux tends to redden the screen, which is a bad idea. Claroview allows me to pick any of several filter colors. I'd like more customization options, but it's very good.

I am considering switching to Safari, to avoid the flashing menus in Firefox, and to take advantage of the Keychain compatibility. I have set up the developer window and installed Stylish, but can't find Safari extensions or stylish scripts to block gifs. I will also need to block Google Maps. I would like to be able to block css-based and javascript-based animation, but I know I can't selectively block Javascript-based animation without completely blocking Javascript.

May 11, 2016 11:36 AM in response to Marja E

I have given up on Safari, due to the amount of animation, and due to the inadequate bookmark handling. It even uses animation when switching into and out of reader view, which I need as a refuge *from* animation.

I can't find any way to disable the mouseover issues in Firefox, so is there a way to globally disable all mouseover events in OS X?

Tools to reduce flashing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.