Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac in a startup loop. Errors given over apple logo.

Hi everyone,

The other day my parents iMac got in a restart loop.

I took a look and what happens is, the computer boots up, Apple logo comes up with the loading bar, fills a bit then on the left side of the screen errors are given as if I were in verbose mode. I've attached a photo of the errors, typing it out isn't possible as I'm in a rush but if necessary I will type it out in a bit. I'm going to take a better look at it later, repair disk permissions etc. because google is yielding no results. Would it be safe to say its a failing drive? No symptoms were given before though, everything was in working order. Anyways, thanks in advance.User uploaded file

Posted on May 1, 2016 3:11 PM

5 replies

May 1, 2016 4:23 PM in response to Mofran56

You may be able to get past the Kernel Panic notice on startup with the Safe mode instructions;

that would be helpful to further diagnose the situation because Kernel Panics can be the result

of hardware and/or software issues. This would include incompatible applications, a mix of older

and newer software, utilities that may have broken the system (mackeeper, cleanmymac, etc)

among other possibilities.

To understand kernel panics would require a bit of reading, when you have time. Worthwhile.

• Troubleshooting and Resolving Kernel Panics - the X Lab:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/kernelpanics.html#Anchor-Troubleshooting-49575

{if the above reference returns you to this page -- try this and see the link among results}

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thexlab.com%2Ffaqs%2Fkernelpanics.html%23Anchor-Troubleshooting-49575&t=ffsb

• Technical Note TN2063: Understanding and Debugging Kernel Panics:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2063/_index.html

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

May 1, 2016 6:42 PM in response to Mofran56

That kind of panic is caused by a drive failure when FileVault is active.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keep your confidential data secure during hardware repair.

Apple recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

May 1, 2016 7:33 PM in response to Mofran56

Thanks for your input everyone.

I attempted to boot into safe mode, the bar got about 1/4 the way and then it just full on shuts off. Very weird, doesn't crash just powers down immediately.

Anyways, I'm going to have to back it up some how (Target Disk Mode?), theres too much data we cant lose 😕.

Also, thanks for the answer Linc. I may just replace the drive with an SSD after backing up the existing HDD. Hopefully it is just a drive issue. Its out of warranty so bringing it to Apple will only cost me extra. Any more input if definitely appreciated, but you guys have helped pinpoint. Thanks!

May 1, 2016 8:08 PM in response to Mofran56

If you want to preserve the data on the startup drive, and there is not already a current backup, you must try to back up now, before you do anything else. It may or may not be possible. If you don't care about changes to the data since the last backup, you can skip this step.

There are several ways to back up a Mac that is not fully functional. You need an external hard drive or other storage device to hold the data.

1. Start up from the Recovery partition, or from a local Time Machine backup volume (option key at startup.) When the OS X Utilities screen appears, launch Disk Utility and follow the instructions in this support article. You'll be "restoring" the startup volume to the backup volume.

If you use FileVault 2, then you must first unlock the startup volume. Select its icon ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another disk icon. Select Unlock from the File menu. Enter your login password when prompted.

2. If Method 1 fails because of disk errors, then you may be able to salvage some of your files by copying them in the Finder. If you already have an external drive with OS X installed, start up from it. Otherwise, if you have Internet access, follow the instructions on this page to prepare the external drive and install OS X on it. You'll use the Recovery installer, rather than downloading it from the App Store.

3. If you have access to a working Mac, and both it and the non-working Mac have FireWire or Thunderbolt ports, start the non-working Mac in target disk mode. If one Mac has Thunderbolt and the other has FireWire, you need a FireWire cable and an adapter. A Retina MacBook (2015 or later model) with a USB-C port can also be started in target disk mode and connected to another Mac using a USB cable and another adapter.

Use the working Mac to copy the data to another drive.

This technique won't work with USB (except on a Retina MacBook), Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth. Note that a Retina MacBook Pro (with Thunderbolt) is different from a Retina MacBook, and it can't be connected to another Mac via USB in target disk mode.

4. If the internal drive of the non-working Mac is user-replaceable, remove it and mount it in an external enclosure or drive dock. Use another Mac to copy the data.

iMac in a startup loop. Errors given over apple logo.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.