Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My kids have iphones that I now need to have to be able to text and call and do nothing else. Is there anyway to do that? They had iphones that were being inappropriately used and now that I am aware of that usage, I now need to limit all activity.

I have recently became aware of inappropriate activity from my kids' iphones... a 4s and 6s. Is there anyway to now limit their phone usage to texting and calling and nothing else? No apps, no wifi, just texting and calling. I can now monitor texts and calls, but want nothing else to be done. I do need to be able to call and text them. Help please!

iPhone 4S, iOS 8

Posted on May 1, 2016 3:33 PM

6 replies

May 1, 2016 3:36 PM in response to angel0123

You can't restrict the phone to only texting and calling, but you can stop them from using the offending apps. Go to Settings > General > Restrictions, and set a restrictions passcode. Then turn off Safari so they can't browse the web, "Installing Apps," and any other desired options. Delete any unwanted third-party apps from their phones, and then they will not be able to re-install them if "Installing Apps" is turned off.

May 1, 2016 4:00 PM in response to angel0123

If you would like to come along side them and keep their browsiing privileges after a while, check out Covenant Eyes in the App Store. It is an alternative to Safari (If they're looking up what I assume they are) that disables private browsing and sends you diagnostics of what they visit.

You could start by disabling eveything but the most basic default apps and then gradually bring back privileges. Teach them how to use their phones and the Internet responsibly and I believe it could pay off in the long run.

EDIT: To answer your question, restrictions would work, but you could wean them back on and have them earn back your trust through the above steps.

My kids have iphones that I now need to have to be able to text and call and do nothing else. Is there anyway to do that? They had iphones that were being inappropriately used and now that I am aware of that usage, I now need to limit all activity.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.