Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I go to log into Craigslist I get: Safari cannot verify the identity of the website " (craigslist account)!?

When I go to log into Craigslist I get: Safari cannot verify the identity of the website " (craigslist account)!?

I tried through my google Crome it said this: Your connection is not private! Attackers might be trying to steal info...

It doesn't seemed to do it on any other sites.

I tried clearing cookies, and restarting.

Is it doing this because my OS is out of date? My computer says I am up to date on my current OS.

a few things that seem odd to me:

I also got the 403 forbidden message a couple weeks back.

The bash terminal popped up a couple times on my slidebar too; Seemed to do so on its own.

Thanks in advance for any help!

My Macbook Pro: Mac OS X, version 10.6.8, 4 GB, macbook pro5,5

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 1, 2016 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 2:56 PM

The problem is due to your Mac running such an outdated system v10.6 but you could try using another browser like Firefox.

Apple has not provided security updates for v10.6 Snow Leopard in years.

Minimum requirement for Firefox is v10.6.

You may want to see if your Mac can run the newest OS X v10.11 El Capitan > Upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

That way you can have the latest version of Safari 9.1 installed so you can access websites such as Craigslist

Google's Chrome only works on Macs running v10.9 Mavericks or later > https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 2:56 PM in response to Mark's MacbookPro

The problem is due to your Mac running such an outdated system v10.6 but you could try using another browser like Firefox.

Apple has not provided security updates for v10.6 Snow Leopard in years.

Minimum requirement for Firefox is v10.6.

You may want to see if your Mac can run the newest OS X v10.11 El Capitan > Upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

That way you can have the latest version of Safari 9.1 installed so you can access websites such as Craigslist

Google's Chrome only works on Macs running v10.9 Mavericks or later > https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

May 1, 2016 2:56 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Ok. It does allow me to continue to the site through Safari, but not through Google Chrome. I guess I will start the process of backing up my important info somehow, and trying to update my OS.

Should I be worried about security threats because of my outdated OS?

I downloaded El Capitan, but haven't started installation; I'm guessing I might not have enough memory for installation.

May 1, 2016 4:30 PM in response to Mark's MacbookPro

Let's put it this way. Your Mac will be better protected running El Capitan then it is v10.6 Snow Leopard.

El Capitan requires at the minimum 2GB's of (RAM / memory) It also requires at least 8.8 GB's of storage space.

But make sure there's enough free storage space.

Right or control click your MacintoshHD icon on your Desktop then click Get Info. You should see Capacity and Available. Make sure there's at least 8.8 GB's of available storage, more if possible. It takes 8.8GB's to run El Capitan let alone all your applications.

** Very important to read this user tip prior to upgrading from Snow Leoaprd > Upgrading to 10.7 and above, don't forget Rosetta! | Apple Support Communities

May 2, 2016 8:57 PM in response to Mark's MacbookPro

While I use older and newer Macs online, some that cannot use a newer OS X;

the FireFox browser from Mozilla would be a best way to go online in 10.6.8...

Your computer as-is should be able to run the latest version of Firefox.

As I occasion to visit craigslist, even with older PowerPC G4 pre-2006

Macs running Leopard OS X 10.5.8, I've had no trouble with a custom

build of Mozilla Firefox on my vintage obsolete hardware. You should

not have issue using Firefox in your Mac & Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8.

Anyway, this may be an idea and the cost to check it out is minimal.

You can migrate bookmarks into Firefox and organize them, then go

to Safari browser's preferences, to set the default browser as Firefox.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.