Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 front camera not working

So I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1.2... The front facing camera has not been working for months now, if not a year. When I go to open the camera app, the rear camera works fine, but when I touch the switch button, the app will freeze. If I try to force quit the app and re-open it, the screen will just be black and still frozen. After I close the app again and wait a long time, then the rear camera will work again. I have dropped my phone a couple of times. There is a small crack on the front screen. Everything works fine though. I have tried many things to get the camera to work, but none of them solved the problem. There is no apple store by Me. If I took it into a phone store, could they fix it?

Here are the things I have tried:

-downloaded a third party camera app

- reset all settings

- restarting the phone

- deleted apps using camera

- hard reset

- Held camera app down while holding down power button and turned off

- Press firmly around camera lens

I do not want to back up everything and reset the phone. If anybody knows how I can get this to work, please let me know. Thanks.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2, null

Posted on May 1, 2016 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 4:34 PM

This looks like a hardware issue. Since you dropped the phone, that probably damaged also hardware inside the phone and not only the screen.

If you visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider, and show them your device, they can tell you more about your service options. Getting the phone replaced would cost you $149, Apple does not offer screen repair for the iPhone 4. Check this article for more details:

iPhone Service Pricing - Apple Support

Service Answer Center - iPhone

Getting the phone fixed by a 3rd party repair shop might be less expansive, but you will still have your old device and not a refurbished one, and Apple will not replace or service the device after that anymore.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2016 4:34 PM in response to oliviarose.s

This looks like a hardware issue. Since you dropped the phone, that probably damaged also hardware inside the phone and not only the screen.

If you visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider, and show them your device, they can tell you more about your service options. Getting the phone replaced would cost you $149, Apple does not offer screen repair for the iPhone 4. Check this article for more details:

iPhone Service Pricing - Apple Support

Service Answer Center - iPhone

Getting the phone fixed by a 3rd party repair shop might be less expansive, but you will still have your old device and not a refurbished one, and Apple will not replace or service the device after that anymore.

iPhone 4 front camera not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.