Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I dont want apple tv to turn my television off

Just got the new Apple TV and love it. However, I often switch between inputs to use the cable box/DVR and Apple TV. So when I power down Apple TV, I don't always want it to turn my TV off. How can I disable this?

Posted on May 1, 2016 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 5:59 PM

Look under Settings, Remotes and Device for settings to turn it off.

7 replies

May 3, 2016 7:11 PM in response to timothylance

While I fully understand your very reasonable needs, consider the following:

Scenario 1 : Finish using ATV but want to switch to cable - need ATV to sleep but not turn off TV.

Scenario 2 : Finish using ATV and am done with TV - need ATV to sleep and turn off TV.

The only way to correctly respond to both these 2 is to be able to read one's thoughts and deterimine the intent. This is not technically possible.

May 3, 2016 7:38 PM in response to Vinceassociate

Or Apple could have two settings:

1) Turn TV on when ATV is woken/powered on? Yes/No

2) Turn TV off when ATV sleeps/powers off? Yes/No

If the above were so, I would opt Yes for #1 and No for #2, for defaults. I would be willing to deal with the effects when I might want different, just as I do in all sorts of instances in technology and life when the default does not meet a particular need once in a while.

I dont want apple tv to turn my television off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.