Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic Disk Format

I accidentally reformatted my iPod Classic on my new Surface. The new format of ExFAT appears and the iPod will no longer sync on my iMac. How can I reformat my device to be recognized on my iMac where all my music is stored. Can I reset my iPod to factory? If so, how do I do this?

iPod classic, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 1, 2016 5:13 PM

3 replies

May 1, 2016 8:30 PM in response to AHendon3

You should do a Restore using iTunes

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

but if that's not possible with the iPod in its current condition (because it does not appear in iTunes), when you run Disk Utility on the Mac, does the iPod appear in the Disk Utility sidebar? If it does (and you cannot do a Restore using iTunes), you can try doing an Erase using Disk Utility to reformat it. But it needs to be done in a particular way. It says in your profile info that you use Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion). Is that still current info? I ask, because the current OS X (El Capitan) has a re-designed Disk Utility that works differently.

iPod Classic Disk Format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.