Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've lost most of my books on itunes. They are all on ibooks but I don't know how to get them back to itunes so I can sync my phone and ipad. PLEASE HELP!

I've lost most of my books on itunes. They are all on ibooks but I don't know how to get them back to itunes so I can sync my phone and ipad. PLEASE HELP!

Posted on May 1, 2016 4:47 PM

8 replies

Feb 25, 2017 4:38 AM in response to Goddess22

Not sure why people do not understand. I had exact same issue as you and others, having recently moved from PC to Mac and had limited books in my library showing in iTunes when connected to iDevices. Very frustrating as I was in the middle of a novel, synced and blam, gone!!!

The fix... within the iBooks iOS app on your devices, click the drop down in the middle of the screen, i.e. Books, All Books, PDFs, etc... at the bottom of that screen is an option "Hide iCloud Books" which was selected for me... deselect and all of my library reappears... now I can select directly from there which books I wish to dl to device.

After downloading the ones I wish to be local, I can reenable the hide option to keep the library on the device concise.

Hope this helps!!

May 1, 2016 5:43 PM in response to Goddess22

THe solution you seek depends upon whether or jot you use a Mac or a PC.

1) If you use a Mac, iBooks is now a separate, optional application rather than a part of iTunes. Open the Mac App Store, download iBooks. Once iBooks is installed, open it, click on the upper left-hand corner of the application window where it says "Library", and you should be able to see all of your purchased books. If you don't see anything, click "Store" from the toolbar, and click "Sign In". Once signed in, your content will appear. Download the books you want to store locally on your Mac. Once you have done this, open iTunes, connect your iPhone (either by wifi or lightning cable), and you will see "Books" on the list. Sync the books you want to your device and you are all set.

2) If you are on a PC, iBooks will still be its own tab in the iTunes application. Make sure that you have "Show iCloud purchases" enabled. If you are unsure of whether or not you have this option enabled, click "View" from the menu bar, then click "Show iCloud Books". Once your books are visible, the process is much like the one described above for Mac.

Best of luck.

May 2, 2016 2:06 PM in response to Macology

Ok let me give you some more information. I have and iMac, iPad and iPhone. All of my devices have iBooks on them. I have an extensive iBook collection and recently lost all of my iBooks on my iMac except and eighth of my book collection. I don't want to sync my iphone because I will lose what I have on it because the books are no longer in iTunes yet they are in the separate iBook application. How can i correct this and get my books back on itunes. Because my collection is so large I don't want everything just what I need for my studies. In itunes you can select the books you want by checking the box but if they are no longer in itunes I can't. I need to bring what I see in ibooks back into the itunes application. If ANYONE OUT THERE knows how; please let me know.

May 2, 2016 3:45 PM in response to sberman

No i see my collection in ibooks. There is some sort of problem with itunes, there has to be for my books to disappear and not all of them but most of them. When i select my iphone in itunes i can see what books are left on (settings) and what is actually on (my device). I just need to figure out how to get my books back from ibooks on to itunes so that when I update the few things I want to update and sync my iphone and or ipad, I can still keep the collection I'm currently using. It would be nice if I could just update one particular function like music, apps, pictures or ringtones but sync does everything together. It's weird that's why I had to reach out to see if others were experiencing the same issue. If anyone has and has actually come up with a solution that would be wonderful. I have over 800 books and only 20 are showing up....UGH!

May 2, 2016 11:45 PM in response to Goddess22

Perhaps there is some miscommunication on my part, but what I am hoping to convey to you is the fact that iTunes does not store iBooks any longer. If you wish to use iTunes to sync iBooks content, you must first download your purchases from the standalone iBooks app for Mac. Once you have downloaded the books you want, open iTunes and connect the iPad or iPhone you wish to sync. When you look at the sync menu, you will now see all of the books you have downloaded from iBooks, available to sync. This is the only way to do what it is that you ask. There is no option to use iTunes as the sole management software for iBooks the same way you use it to manage movies, music and apps.

As for content on your device but not stored locally to your Mac, when you first connecr a device to iTunes, you should have seen a prompt asking if you want to make a backup locally pr via iCloud. If you chose iCloud instead of local, you can change this and have iTunes create a local backup that pulls purchases on your device but not your local library, and sync those purchases to your local media folder. The only way l could lose content is if you have books or PDFs that you obtaomed from sources other than iTunes.

Best of luck to you.

May 4, 2016 11:37 AM in response to Macology

Thank you so much for trying to help! I have over 800 books on iBooks and since the upgrade with iTunes i can no longer get my selected books to my devices (iPhone, iPad). I don't know how to down load from iBooks to iTunes and when I plug my iPhone up only 20 books are present and they are from mixed sources and are from my original collection when I first got a iMac and iPhone. Everyone is stumped by this so the only logical answer is the new upgrades. Each new upgrade causes me great distress. I've wasted too much time on this and I'm strongly considering going back to the old fashioned pen and paper. Unless there is a fire they are always where you put them. Thanks again.

May 4, 2016 7:05 PM in response to Goddess22

If your books are from mixed sources, then recovering the items on your iPhone is unfortunately not an option. While Apple has a solution for this problem when it comes to music (iTunes Match), they have yet to introduce a similar solution for other media such as books. Your only remaining option is to get copies of your books from whatever sources you used the first time, and create a local backup. Best of luck to you.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.