Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Wipe iMac G4 Drive w/o Disks

I'm selling an old iMac G4 20" and want to wipe my personal information from it. Unfortunately, I no longer have the install disks.

Can I boot it into Target Disk Mode, mount it from another Mac (via FireWire), and format the drive?

Any other ideas?

I need to do the same thing with a MacBook (13" 2006).

Posted on May 1, 2016 7:49 PM

3 replies

May 6, 2016 7:47 AM in response to Nello Lucchesi

That should work. However, there is one consideration. I believe that iMac has the optical drive and hard drive on the same IDE bus. When using FireWire Target Disk Mode, only the drive that is set as master is accessible on the other Mac. So, if the hard drive is set as slave (optical drive is master), the hard drive may not be accessible.

On the other Mac, you should use the "security" setting to zero out the hard drive during the Erase, to make your data unrecoverable.

Also, the iMac may not be as valuable if you sell it in non-bootable condition.

May 6, 2016 8:07 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

In case others read this ...

To be more precise, the steps are

1. Using System Preferences > Users & Groups
    Create a User (let's call it Ishmael) and check the box that says "Allow user to administer this computer."
  2. From the Apple menu
    Log out all users
  3. From the Apple menuLog into Ishmael
  4. Using System Preferences > Users & GroupsDelete all user accounts (except Ishmael) selecting the option, "Delete the home folder." (Since we're going to securely erase all unused space, there is NO need to check the box, "Erase home folder securely."
  5. From /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

• Select the drive containing the user directories.

• Click on Erase

• Click on the button, "Security Options..."

* Choose one of the options that overwrites zeros or random data.

How to Wipe iMac G4 Drive w/o Disks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.