Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any entry in library search crashes iTunes

I have iTunes, version 12.1.2.27 installed on an Acer laptop, model VA70, running Windos 7 Home Premium, SP1.

A recent problem. If I have iTunes open, to "Songs", and I type anything, even one letter, in the box to search the library, iTunes crashes, displaying an error message, "iTunes has stopped working." A check for solutions online is fruitless. I have the same iTunes on another laptop, and searches there work as expected. Hard drive is about one-quarter full.

I would be glad to offer information on processor speed, memory and storage capacity, but I don't know where to find these.

iPod touch, Windows 7

Posted on May 1, 2016 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 8:02 PM

Do you have the search entire library option ticked if you click the magnifying glass in the search box? Leaving this off provides the old style filtering behaviour, on returns the results in an overlay box that requires more resources to produce.

You're several builds behind the current version. It may pay to perform a tear down and rebuild of iTunes.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 8:02 PM in response to wes_duckett

Do you have the search entire library option ticked if you click the magnifying glass in the search box? Leaving this off provides the old style filtering behaviour, on returns the results in an overlay box that requires more resources to produce.

You're several builds behind the current version. It may pay to perform a tear down and rebuild of iTunes.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

May 2, 2016 12:11 PM in response to turingtest2

You were so kind to resolve my search problem, may I presume upon your kindness a bit more? You said "update to he current version of iTunes." If I follow this path: iTunes > Help > Check for updates", I receive this: "This version of iTunes (12:.1.2) is the current version." However, on another laptop, running the same OS, I see instead (12.3.3) as the current version. Where would get a newer version?

Thank you again,

Wes

May 2, 2016 12:49 PM in response to wes_duckett

In some cases Apple Software Update may not fetch the current version for you. Download it from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download. If you have difficulty try; unticking the "Keep me up to date..." box, clearing your browser's cache, changing pop-up blocker settings, right-clicking or ctrl-clicking the download button, using an alternate browser, or using the direct links from here.

See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates if you have any further problems with the installation.

tt2

Any entry in library search crashes iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.