Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac freezes after accessing network preferences

Used my iMac this morning without any issues. However later in the afternoon, I noticed that the computer recognized only one wifi network but refused to recognize the 2 other wifi networks i have. I opened network preferences to check but the computer froze and only the movement of the mouse worked. Finally I was able to force quit the network preferences pane. But still the only function my trackpad has is to move the cursor on the screen and even the secondary wireless mouse has limited capabilities. i do have internet connection but only from the main wifi network, the secondary network still refuse to be attached even though I'm using the correct password. How can I get my computer and mouses back to full functionality? Help!!

iMac, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 1, 2016 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 2:11 PM

"I opened network preferences to check but the computer froze"

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that may help.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

About Safe Mode

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2016 2:11 PM in response to hyeonjee

"I opened network preferences to check but the computer froze"

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that may help.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

About Safe Mode

May 2, 2016 2:17 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I did what you suggested and so far everything seems to be in working order. I was even able to go back into network preferences. However, I'm still unable to get my computer to recognize the two other secondary networks attached to the main wifi. I don't think I'll worry so much about that because I can still get onto the Internet and use my Apple TV without an issue. Thank you so very much for your assistance, I can breathe much easier now.

iMac freezes after accessing network preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.