Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forcing me to change my password

I have been using iCloud perfectly well on my iPhone (9.1...I know, I'm updating it later this week) and MacBook Pro (10.10.5...also updating later this week). Since I'm updating later this week, I wanted to double-check that everything (mostly my photos) has been backed up properly, so I attempted to log in to my account on icloud.com. However, it won't let me log in. It seems to be forcing me to "Update your Apple ID" but I didn't ask to change my password, and I have not gotten this dialog box on either of my devices. My password is very secure (it's a phrase, with numbers, letters, and special characters).

I guess my question is...what happens if I change my password as it seems to be requesting? Will I need to re-log in to stuff? What will I need to re-log in to? I'm guessing: iTunes, iMessage, FaceTime, iCloud on my phone, App Store...what else? How will this affect my phone and laptop?

Thank you in advance for your help. I tend to have bad luck with technology, so I want to make sure I do things correctly. My mother was forced to change her iCloud password while purchasing a new iPhone at the Apple Store, and it messed up her account and prevented her from downloading her back-ups for weeks, so I would like to avoid this issue.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on May 1, 2016 8:02 PM

9 replies

Jul 8, 2017 11:28 AM in response to hpsparrow

This situation does not just pertain to iCloud. I've been using my password (which has been rated extremely secure) for ages with Apple Support Communities and other Apple locations, but I needed to open an account with App Store (which already has my Apple ID, my birthdate and more), but I'm being forced to change the password for no reason, whatsoever. I need to update my OS version, so I'm stuck, but if Apple already knows who I am, even knows that the password is one that I am currently using, what is the problem?

If I could get a reliable copy of the OS (El Capitan) somewhere else, I'd go there and just skip the App Store. I haven't needed it to this point, and I'm really sore about Apple at the moment. My local Apple Store was willing to tty to get El Capitan for me, when I went to the Genius Bar there, but they couldn't locate it. Maybe I'll have to try again. . . .

Meanwhile, can anyone explain why if my password is good enough to use for other Apple sites (and has been rated by several sites as "strong," it isn't good enough for the App Store? Thanks very much.

May 4, 2016 5:53 AM in response to hpsparrow

The question remains though - why were you being forced to change your password?

Is it possible to circumvent this once asked to change the password?

I am not asked to change the password while I use iCloud features on my phone (find iPhone, Photo stream, etc) but only when I try to log in to icloud.com.

Is there no way to use iCloud.com now without changing the password?

May 4, 2016 6:47 PM in response to Loavenbruck

@Loavenbruck - The woman that I talked to at Apple Support informed me that Apple is now requesting users of Apple ID (and related products, including iCloud, iTunes, etc.) to change their passwords to be more secure. Apparently mine was not secure enough. They are, as of now, only prompting users to change their passwords on the iCloud website, but supposedly users will soon get prompts to change their passwords while using iTunes, etc.

It is not possible to circumvent this if you still want to use iCloud.com. If you don't want to use the website, you should be fine for now. I needed to use the website, so I had to change my password.

Additionally, before you change your password, go ahead and log out of anything that uses iCloud. If you have a Mac/MBP/etc - log out of iTunes, App Store, iMessage and Facetime. You can log out of iMessage by going to System Preferences -> iCloud -> Sign Out. If you have an iPhone/etc - log out of iTunes, App Store, iMessage (Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive -> "click" your Apple ID, "Sign Out"), and iCloud (Settings -> iCloud -> Scroll all the way down, "Sign Out"). That should sign you out of everything.

Then, change your password by going to appleid.apple.com. This is apparently a "cleaner" way to change your password. After that, you should be able to log into iCloud.com without issues. Plus, your password will be more secure, which definitely doesn't hurt.

Jun 6, 2016 6:28 AM in response to diane143

I agree! Very annoying! this makes no sense to me to have to go and change umpteen devices just because they feel my password is not secure. I've had this account for almost 10 years and I have never had any security breaches, stolen passwords or problems with itunes, icloud, mobileme, or any other service from Apple being compromised. Now they want to lock me out to force me to change my password!

Apple you can stick it! You have steadily declined in my book from customer support to even product launches! It just seems to me there is a sinking ship here and things have really changed since Steve passed control to Tim. Nothing seems to "Just Work" anymore without having to do this or that and I'm getting tired of it. 10 years ago I bailed from Windows because they had a lot of the issues I'm seeing with Apple now. What is going on?

I have way too many devices and just don't want to change my passwords on all of them due to someone else's idea of a more secure password.

If they force me to change I'll change back it's getting time anyway as I see no new innovating stuff coming from Apple anyway.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, maybe they have a security breach and have compromised our passwords and information and this is how they are telling us, I don't know, but if I'm not having issues then I don't change.

My apologies for ranting, but this has been the cherry on top of the frosting for me, it's built up from failure after failure of recent software and product changes from Apple that has nothing new to offer or just Doesn't Work and it has me frustrated.

I'm sure I am not the only one.

I just hope someone from Apple will see this and push it up the chain of command, cause they need to fix the problems they are having.

Forcing me to change my password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.