Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 400hz Won't Turn On!

Picked up a iMac G3 indigo blue 400 HZ at a garage sale… I plug it in and try to turn it on and when I push the power button I heard a pop pop coming from the speakers! What could this possibly be? The screen does not light up and there is no sound other than the pop... Is there anything I can check or replace that could be the problem? I've heard heating up the components using a hair dryer works to make it turn on again?

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS 9.2.x, iMac G3 indigo 400hz

Posted on May 1, 2016 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2017 6:33 AM

That iMac was originally sold about 1998 so it's no surprise it won't turn on.

2 replies

May 1, 2016 10:29 PM in response to JonathanG16

The slot-loading 400 MHz G3 iMac is a 1999 model, but after many hours of use, those iMacs were prone to failure of the P-A-V (Power-Analog-Video) Board. There was no cooling fan in that model and convection cooling just wasn't adequate to protect certain components from heat-related damage. Unfortunately, there are no replacement PAV boards still being manufactured today. Even if you found a used part at ebay, the likelihood of getting long service life from it is doubtful, given the fact that the parts are old (17 years). Of greater concern is the fact that replacement of it involves exposure to potentially lethal levels of stored current, if not discharged properly before proceeding with the repair. It requires someone who's experienced with working on CRT-type TVs and displays.

iMac G3 400hz Won't Turn On!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.