Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I reinstall OS with recurring kernel panics?

MacBook 1,1, white, plastic, 2.0/2x1GB/80GB/SD/USB.

This not used much, but want to keep it going for special purposes. Getting kernel panic/black screen when I try to reinstall OS onto blank drive; erased it before trying to reinstall Lion 10.7.3. Tried other earlier OS versions. Reseated memory chips and have ordered new ones as a gamble. Made a "Lion" partition on major FW backup clone for my MacBook Pro, but it has now El Capitan; window says I have wrong installer in MB Pro; can't install on this new FW partition, though I don't know if it will help anyway. Must be HW problem; nothing on the MacBook drive. Diagnostics I have can't complete either. Could wipe FW with the MB Pro, load Lion and other stuff to attack HW problem ?? Not sure how to go about this. Have new Disk Warrior 5 and old Tech Tool Pro. Apple HW Test on original MacBook disc won't show up either ?? Tough SOB! Take up the challenge, PLEASE! New mem chips may do it. ??

So, I'm trying to attack it from the external drive, of course, I must. But how to find and eliminate the HW block? Finally, will ask Apple Support.

It won't let me finish any operation !!!

Posted on May 1, 2016 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 7:07 AM

According to Mactracker, a Macbook 1,1 is limited to Snow Leopard, 10.6, as the newest compatible OSX. Are you saying that you have had lion (10.7) installed?

Ciao.

12 replies

May 2, 2016 7:04 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Yes, definitely. 10.7.3. Made copies of installer. It shows up labeled EFI !! ?? No go on MB will go to installer screen on MB Pro. ?? I thought MB 1,1 was stuck at Lion. Really frustrating. I have Apple Snow Leopard 10.6 disk; it starts to load then click Continue at installer screen it quits to black screen, no message. Same with Tech Tool, DW. Other earlier install disks. Trying to get it on the new partition on FW backup, it tells me I have the wrong installer version...?? Got any ideas? Guess I'll wait and install new memory and check that. Eventually may to go to Apple Support. Drive is blank, but there is no message about requiring a system version in place. How to install on a blank drive? I know I've done it before.

Thanks, Mark

May 2, 2016 10:10 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Yes, confirmed. Bar code label on package and in battery compartment. #W871910NWGP, 13", Late 2006, Model: A1181, ID: MacBook 1,1 in System Info when it was available. Will check performance when I install new memory. If it doesn't fly, probably go to Support.

Unless you have other approaches. I see I need a bigger, faster backup drive. No power user here. Been happy with 80 giggers. MB Pro has SSD 128, wow!

Thanks, Mark

May 2, 2016 11:18 AM in response to Der Jesse

Your Macbook model identifier is 2.1, not 1,1, hence the discrepancy. Lion indeed can be installed on that model but that is the newest OSX it will accept. Maximum RAM is 3 GB with the following specifications: 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM.

In order to run the Apple Hardware Test, you will have to use the original installation disk that came with the Mac (which has the AHT instructions written on it). If you do not have that disk, download the appropriate AHT from here:

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

Lion OSX should be in your App store account. If you do not see it, check the 'hidden purchases'. You should be able to download it.

Ciao.

May 2, 2016 2:34 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hey Oglethorpe,

Yes, you're right. You jarred my memory! Confused by the numbers I went with the system info on the machine. I see the EMC 2121 in the battery box, which is MacBook 2,1, I think. Supposed to be good to pin down the mem. I went with the official 2 GB; at that time, I didn't have faith in the "put in 4 and it will access 3 GB". And chips more expensive then. This EMC # goes with 3 machines, I see. Do you think the chips need to be matched as recommended? 2x2GBs? Well, ****, I'm happy if I can get another GB into it !! In my mind the thing has been upgraded!! Btw, it was ordered from Apple Online on May 8, 2007, I added the 80GB drive and 2GB ram. I think it was basic 60GB and 512 ram??

And I do have the original 2 disks, with the HW Test, which will not come up. It's Tiger, 10.4.8. Do you think it has to a system installed for the Test to come up??

As I said, I have copies of the Lion 10.7.3, but they are not recognized by the MacBook, but are by the MacBook Pro. Will check with App Store for the Lion download. I was about to buy one. I also have the manual that came with the machine. 2 GB, memory as you specified. No problemo.

Problemo is that nothing will LOAD!!! GRRRRR ! We'll have to see if new mem will help, and go from there.

Thanks much for your help, Mark

May 2, 2016 4:43 PM in response to Der Jesse

And I do have the original 2 disks, with the HW Test, which will not come up. It's Tiger, 10.4.8. Do you think it has to a system installed for the Test to come up??

The Apple Hardware test loads by a torturous process that means it can take three minute to start to load. You really have to be patient. It does not need anything else in the machine except processor and RAM to be working to load the test.

May 2, 2016 4:17 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks, yes I buy reg from OWC; got my current FW drive from them years back, shortly after the MacBook. Ordered the ram from them.

Since I've got hold of you, what drive larger, faster drive would you recommend now?? I don't need a large capacity, but I would like to partition it to use both OS's -- two machines. OWC has some good offerings.

Thanks again, Mark

May 2, 2016 4:30 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks, Grant,

I know the thing is slow. Think I have waited that long, will try again. Tried many times. My prime suspect/guess is the RAM, so I'm going to replace it and hope that helps. Snow Leopard 10.6, which I need on there in order to load Lion, starts but blacks out at the installer screen. It just strikes me that the machine is not remembering anything. ?? I did reseat the chips once. We shall see what we shall see ..... Thanks,

Mark

How do I reinstall OS with recurring kernel panics?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.