Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I boot, Grey screen appears with a progress bar, then CPU shuts down

I recently encountered a corrupted OSX message followed by my computer shutting off.

When I boot to start up, a grey screen appears with a progress bar. After the progress bar loads fully my computer shuts down.

I have tried using all the recommended key commands for booting into safe mode, but have been unsuccesful possibly because

I have a bluetooth keyboard. I have reset my PRAM, but this was no use to me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 1, 2016 10:30 PM

1 reply

May 1, 2016 11:10 PM in response to W.A. 123456789

Hello. This is quite the predicament. The good news is that there are other options at your disposal.

1) As soon as you power on your Mac, hold Command+R until you see the Apple logo

2) Once the Mac finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with a list of disk utilities

3) The list of utilities will be as follows

- Restore from Time Machine

- View and Repair Drives

- Get Online Help

- Reinstall OS X

4) If you use Time Machine, try restoring from a backup that is prior to your present issue. If you do not use Time Machine, skip to step 5

5) Attempt to repair the disk. If there is a damaged/corrupt sector, it could be causing your crash issue. If the utility does not detect damage or a corrupt sector, skip to step 6

6) Reinstall OS X from your recovery partition. Assuming your drive is not damaged or corrupt, your installation of OS X may have inadvertently become corrupt. A reinstallation or a fresh install may remedy the issue.

If none of those options solve your problem, then schedule a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store. To locate an Apple Store nearest you, please use the following link

http://www.apple.com/retail/

If there is no Apple Store in your area, please contact Apple Care by dialling

1 (800) 275-2273

Best of luck

I boot, Grey screen appears with a progress bar, then CPU shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.