Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport express knocking people off main router

the family i'm renting from have a property nearby with a main router that i've been connecting to

the connection is terrible so i bought an airport express

i set up the airport express and connected via an ethernet cable in my apartment

when i connect it knocks the family off of the main router

how do i fix this?

thank you

Posted on May 1, 2016 10:59 PM

6 replies

May 2, 2016 1:23 AM in response to YourMomsFavorite

We cannot answer without seeing the details.

i set up the airport express and connected via an ethernet cable in my apartment

So the airport express is connected to the main router by ethernet.. or your express is connected by wireless and using ethernet in the apartment.. it is not clear which.

Please post screenshots of the setup.. helps loads.

Is the main router in the property nearby Apple.. ??

If not you can expect to have some issues no matter how you set this up.

But you most likely need to run double NAT which is not a desirable setup at all.

May 2, 2016 2:43 PM in response to YourMomsFavorite

Ok.. lets go back to the start.

when i connect it knocks the family off of the main router

What is your main router?? Do you have a separate router to the one in the house of the owner?

When you connect the express to it.. did you reboot the entire network.. this is always necessary to fix the IP addressing.

Are you doing double NAT in the router.. if so are you doing it correctly using different IP addresses??

I guess the other question is, why the express should be any improvement over the current poor connection by wireless to the owner's router.

The express is far from being a great wireless bridge and its signal is poor.

Have you located the Express in the window of the best possible room in the house with direct line of sight to the owner's house?

What is the signal level it is getting?? If you plug directly into the Express.. no second router does it work.

You still need to give me full details..and screenshots of the setup if you want me to help.

May 5, 2016 12:26 AM in response to LaPastenague

thanks for your help

i don't have a separate router

i spoke with the guy today and he said the only issue is that he's not able to connect after he shuts down his computer and wants to get back on

it doesn't knock him off - just doesnt allow him to get back on his network if i'm on the network i created for the apple express

i'm getting great signal from the express because it's so close

May 8, 2016 11:32 AM in response to LaPastenague

thanks for your help

i don't have a separate router

i spoke with the guy today and he said the only issue is that he's not able to connect after he shuts down his computer and wants to get back on

it doesn't knock him off - just doesnt allow him to get back on his network if i'm on the network i created for the apple express

i'm getting great signal from the express because it's so close

May 8, 2016 1:29 PM in response to YourMomsFavorite

The problem is your position is one of supplicant.. He is the overlord with absolute control.. I need to see his setup to fix your problem.

At a guess, he has limited IP available.. or is running in wrong mode.. and because you are not running a router your level of isolation from his system is non-existent.

I do need to see the info from your computer to even guess further. What IP do you get on the wireless?

As well as the requested screenshot from the airport utility of the Express summary page.

airport express knocking people off main router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.