Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wav audio clip not playing in Final Cut Pro (unless in timeline)

I have some dialogue audio recorded externally to sync with my video footage. It's in wav format 24bit/48kHz. The problem is the audio clips will not play play in the event viewer so that I can review them. To be more precise, when I hit the space bar the cursor moves along the clip, the audio meter levels move up and down as if it is playing, but I get no sound output. However, if I drop the audio clip in the timeline, hit space - it plays perfectly!

Any clues to what is happening anyone?

Thanks.

FCPX 10.2.3

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on May 2, 2016 1:09 AM

11 replies

May 3, 2016 1:31 PM in response to terence1957

Okay - I just tested a 24-bit stereo file, and that plays also. So the problem of audio not playing in the event browser appears to be whether the audio file is stereo or mono. If the project is stereo (the options being stereo of surround), then mono audio files will not play. This is irrespective of whether the audio container is wav or aiff, or recorded in 16-bit or 24-bit. At least this appears to show that the FCPX audio environment is 24-bit.

I would class this as a bug. Many audio clips, dialogue, foley etc are recorded in mono. It is both tedious and storage space hungry to have to convert mono clips to stereo in order to preview them in the event browser. Yes, you could drop them in and out of the timeline to listen, but that's hardly a feature I would expect in a profession video editing package. Apple really should address this.

May 3, 2016 2:06 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for your input Tom. The issue I mention relates to imported mono files not playing in the event browser, but that do play in the timeline. Also, bizarrely, as I explained in my initial post, the audio meter responds as if audio is playing but there is no sound output. After converting the file to stereo, it plays in the event browser.

May 3, 2016 4:06 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Here is a lesson to be learned. Never jump to conclusions too soon. I have now determined that it is only when I'm using my external audio interface (Lynx Hilo) that this whole issue occurs. If I playback audio through my internal Macbook Pro speakers it all goes away. Clearly there is some internal routing problem regarding mono output. I'm not sure where to reconfigure this: not many options in Final Cut, nor in Sound Settings. I'll dig around in Audio midi set-up and get back if I find a solution.

May 3, 2016 4:39 PM in response to terence1957

Stranger and stranger, said Alice: With System preferences > Sound open, I can switch my output selection between my sound card (Lynx Hilo) and my internal Macbook speakers while playing a mono clip in Event Browser. Guess what - everything works as expected: Now I hear it in my Mac speakers, and now through my sound card system. Okay - so I leave it set for the sound card as the output, close the Setting Panel. So far so good - I can still hear the clip playing though the sound card. Yay! But back in FCPX, if stop playback by pressing the spacebar and then restart it again - no sound. I'm back to the original problem.

This seems like a bug related to using an external sound card / core audio / FCPX.

Incidentally - I use this sound card extensively with Logic Pro and never have had a problem

wav audio clip not playing in Final Cut Pro (unless in timeline)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.