Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a different apple account as compared to the one used while initial setup

I've got a MBP 15" retina which is now being used by my wife. We both have our own apple id's and ideally we want to use different id's on our respective MBPs.

However since my wife MBP was initially used by me a lot of applications have been installed/updated by my apple id. Is there any way that those can be updated henceforth using my wife's apple account. I tried it but the system doesn't accept it and keeps on prompting me to enter the id and password until I enter mine.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on May 2, 2016 2:37 AM

5 replies

Jan 11, 2017 1:51 PM in response to r3n3g@de

I have two iMacs, first I have a 22" 2012, with the one piece thin screen. Then I bought a 27" 2015 iMac, 32gb ram and i7 processor.

I am trying to open three accounts that we can log on to and another if a guest needs to do something. I created several different accounts. Sometimes when we start up we can see our pictures over each of the accounts. But most of the time our start-up screen has only one account. But it has no picture of either of us and we don't know how or what apple id and password available. We can not guess how to access the only one. We never know what account we are going to be presented with.

What am I doing wrong? I have been using Mac's for over 30 years, so it must be something very simple.

Thanks

May 2, 2016 9:55 AM in response to r3n3g@de

The apps cannot be transferred to someone else. The licensed copy has your Apple ID encoded in the DNA of the copy and only you can redownload it or update it, even if you have authorized it's use on someone else's Mac.

Late 2012 Mac mini, OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 beta 3;  Watch, 38 mm silver AL, Watch OS 2.1; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 9.3.2 beta 3;  Apple Airport Express

Using a different apple account as compared to the one used while initial setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.