Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After installing El Capitan, Safari's toolbar lost the download button. Help!!!

I have a MacBook Air, circa 2013 I just installed El Capitan. When I open a window in Safari I used to have a little button on the right side of the toolbar where you can see the progress of downloads. Also, I have had problems w/updates. I cannot install the majority of them. 😟

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on May 2, 2016 3:40 AM

4 replies

May 2, 2016 5:04 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

No, that's not what is going on even though I did clear my history. After downloading El Caitan, I attempted to download a newer Flash Player, as well as going to my favorite game site & tried to download about 3 or 4 games. With all of them you could see the little button appear w/it's blue bar making progress, But only stays visible for a second or two, Then it disappears. I looked in my Download folder in finder & also looked at everything in Launchpad too! Nothing! I havent backed-up anything to my Time Machine so I couldn't try to go back to Yosemite. Would Safari Restore work?

I was curious if anyone noticed my question regarding my not being able to update most of my apps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

May 2, 2016 6:18 AM in response to msgams

Check Safari/Preferences/General to see what File download location is set to.

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan.

May 2, 2016 11:26 AM in response to msgams

Might be corrupted Safari preferences ...

Quit Safari if it's open.

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Then type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Safari/Downloads.plist

Click Go then move the Downloads.plist to the Trash.

Quit then relaunch Safari to test. If that doesn't help, do the same for ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Move the com.apple.Safari.plist file to the Trash, quit then relaunch Safari again.

** For the updates. Which updates are you referring to?

After installing El Capitan, Safari's toolbar lost the download button. Help!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.