Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System preferences not responding

Hello,

I would be very grateful if you could help to sort out the following question. Due to some changes in system, System Preferences became unresponsive. After System Preferences is launched it immediately stopping responding and following appears:

User uploaded file

I tried to reinstall OS X via Utilities and tried to use Repair Disk, however result remains the same.

Any suggestions how to sort it out?

Thank you in advance

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 9.0.2

Posted on May 2, 2016 4:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 1:01 PM

Please quit the application. Force quit if necessary.

Relaunch it by holding down the shift key and clicking its icon. That action will prevent the last window state from being reloaded. Any change?

3 replies

May 3, 2016 3:26 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for your reply. Pressing Shift key helped to launch System Preferences and all menus seems to be working okey (although very slow) however if I choose Network, then it freezes again and System Preferences crashes unless I force quit and then relaunch as per your advice. How I could find:

1) Why System Preferences acting this way?

2) What causes Network to crash permanently

Thanks in advance

May 3, 2016 5:02 AM in response to Sonmi451

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services ▹ Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder named "SystemConfiguration" should open. Move the contents of that folder to the Trash, except the file with this name:

com.apple.Boot.plist

Leave that file where it is.

You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and test.

If there's no change, restore each of the items you deleted from a backup, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place.

If the problem is resolved, you may need to recreate some of your settings in the Network and Energy Saver preference panes.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go ▹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

System preferences not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.