Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up a second time machine?

my husbands computer died. he had a back up external drive with time machine. Can I install his time machine up to my computer and still keep all my info separate. I have Lion installed and his computer was lion as well.

MacBook Pro, iOS 6

Posted on May 2, 2016 4:32 AM

1 reply

May 2, 2016 6:09 AM in response to vicki21

Hi Vicki21:

My suggestion would be to use separate external drives. If the external drive failed you would lose all the data for both computers. External drives are very cheap now.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner which makes an exact clone of your hard drive and is bootable. So if your hard drive were to fail, you could boot from hard drive and continue.

However, back to your question, it looks like you can do it. See the following article for everything you ever wanted to know about Time Machine.

http://pondini.org/TM/4.html

The forum software is still not working properly with links, so try triple clicking on link which will select complete line and then right click and select Go to address.

Kim

Back up a second time machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.