Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to update my phone. The only update showing is iOS 9.2.1. When I try to update, it tells me i cannot because I am not connected to the internet. How can get the current update on my phone.

I am trying to update my phone. The only update available is iOS 9.2.1. When I try to upgrade, it tells me I cannot upgrade because i am no longer connected to the internet. How can I upgrade my phone?

iOS 9.2.1

Posted on May 2, 2016 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 4:47 AM

Connect to the internet.

8 replies

May 15, 2016 3:09 PM in response to Templeton Peck

I had my iPhone 5 plugged into a USB generic cable since March. I wasn't able to update to 9.3.1 software update. I kept getting the same error message I wasn't connected to the Internet despite the fact I was connected with the USB Generic cable. After much research, I discovered some comment saying to use the original Apple USB cable plugged into your iPhone 5 when you update it because the phone has to be plugged in in order to do the software update. I also found another response that you had to turn off "find my iPhone" first before updating. Not sure which one was the reason why I was finally able to update to 9.3.1 since I've been trying since March. My point is that either using the original USB cable plugged into your iPhone 5 and or turning off "find my iPhone" first, was the answer to people having issues with updating to 9.3.1 software update.

May 15, 2016 4:31 PM in response to ritzput1

Not sure who told you those two things, but neither is accurate. The only time you need a USB cable to do an update is if you are doing it via iTunes. If you are doing it Over the Air, then you just need Wifi. There is a recommendation that you connect to power when doing updates, so maybe that is what whomever told you that meant. But it is not required.

You do not need to do anything with Find My iPhone either.

I regularly update my iOS devices OTA. Usually I do plug them in to power, so you are right about the kind of cable you should be using in that case. If it is not an Apple-cable, or an Apple-approved cable, then you will run into issues.

Good that you posted this info. If the OP is getting that message because of a non-standard cable, then this will certainly help them.

Cheers,

GB

I am trying to update my phone. The only update showing is iOS 9.2.1. When I try to update, it tells me i cannot because I am not connected to the internet. How can get the current update on my phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.