Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.5.8 upgrade?

Hi,

I use an older imac, it is currently running os version 10.5.8. (haven't touched it in years)

I would like to update it to a newer os version as I would like to run such program as: Lightroom and Photoshop Elements.

Please assist me as I have no idea how to upgrade as it says my os is up to date.

Id be happy with either of the following: Yosemite or El Capitan.

Thank you

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 2, 2016 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 5:36 AM

Please read Software update, upgrade--what's the difference? - Apple Support

To upgrade OS X please read Upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support. You will need to scroll down to the section titled Don't have the Mac App Store which will include a link to purchase Snow Leopard. That's where you need to start.

After installing Snow Leopard, you can upgrade to El Capitan by following the instructions in that Support document. Don't overlook Apple's recommendation regarding backing up up your Mac.

There is no additional cost to upgrade to El Capitan. You might want to consider installing additional memory. Your iMac can address as much as 8 GB RAM. I recommend purchasing memory from a source known to support Macs. The only vendors that I can personally recommend are Crucial and OWC / MacSales. Avoid PC-centric vendors, as they often sell RAM that does not meet Apple's stringent specifications.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2016 5:36 AM in response to MildSight

Please read Software update, upgrade--what's the difference? - Apple Support

To upgrade OS X please read Upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support. You will need to scroll down to the section titled Don't have the Mac App Store which will include a link to purchase Snow Leopard. That's where you need to start.

After installing Snow Leopard, you can upgrade to El Capitan by following the instructions in that Support document. Don't overlook Apple's recommendation regarding backing up up your Mac.

There is no additional cost to upgrade to El Capitan. You might want to consider installing additional memory. Your iMac can address as much as 8 GB RAM. I recommend purchasing memory from a source known to support Macs. The only vendors that I can personally recommend are Crucial and OWC / MacSales. Avoid PC-centric vendors, as they often sell RAM that does not meet Apple's stringent specifications.

May 2, 2016 9:09 AM in response to MildSight

MildSight writes:

(haven't touched it in years)

In that case, before spending money I would thoroughly test it with its current OS version to make sure that years of sitting have not caused problems. If the computer has been unplugged from wall power for a long time, its internal backup battery (or "PRAM" battery) is surely dead and could cause issues.

Replacing the battery is not a trivial matter in this model. You must remove the glass (special suction cup tools required) and the front silver bezel to access it. Small, fiddly bits involved. Here is where the PRAM battery is located:

User uploaded file

[click image to enlarge]

iMac (Early 2009) - Technical Specifications

10.5.8 upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.