Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine backup to flash drive

Can I use a flash (or thumb) drive as a time machine backup?

Posted on May 2, 2016 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 6:04 AM

BobTedescoJr wrote:

Sure, but it had better be a very big thumbdrive. In an ideal world it would be 3 times as large as the amount of disk space you are ultimately going to be using on your Mac's boot disk. 2 times as much would be fine, you just have less backup history, depending on how often you modify files (and OS X modifies files0. 1-for-1 in size is not really good, as Time Machine wants to maintain older backups and would be spending a lot of time purging before it could write updated files.

Format the device for HFS+ (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) and point Time Machine at the device.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2016 6:04 AM in response to BobTedescoJr

BobTedescoJr wrote:

Sure, but it had better be a very big thumbdrive. In an ideal world it would be 3 times as large as the amount of disk space you are ultimately going to be using on your Mac's boot disk. 2 times as much would be fine, you just have less backup history, depending on how often you modify files (and OS X modifies files0. 1-for-1 in size is not really good, as Time Machine wants to maintain older backups and would be spending a lot of time purging before it could write updated files.

Format the device for HFS+ (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) and point Time Machine at the device.

May 2, 2016 6:42 AM in response to BobTedescoJr

According to Apple, it is essential to the operation of Time Machine that the Time Machine backup device is indexed by Spotlight. This will occur even when you place the Time Machine drive in the Spotlight Privacy panel as a drive to omit from said indexing.

If you deliberately want to slow your Mac to a crawl, use a USB stick, or SDXC card as the target Time Machine device. Not only will it take forever for a Time Machine backup to finish, but combine that with the fact that Spotlight might get impatient waiting for the backup to finish, and simultaneously add additional I/O and CPU delays by indexing that drive — in competition with TIme Machine for machine resources.

And Bob Harris has addressed the other issues of using a limited capacity device for Time Machine.

time machine backup to flash drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.