Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send iMessages to 1 person unless they message first

I have ios 9.3.1, i've restarted my phone, deleted the conversation numerous times to start a new one, made sure my iMessages were set to my phone number and turned on "send as SMS" which also is giving me issues with this one contact. If the iMessage won't go through it shows it goes through as a text but he never gets them. I don't have him blocked and he doesn't have me blocked or else his iMessages would never come through to me throughout the day but I cannot text him without him texting me first. It'll randomly stop working sometime during the conversation. It's frustrating and started a week ago. He did just recently get the iPhone and we had the issue last year when I first got my iPhone 6 but it resolved itself within days now it's happening again. I need it fixed he lives 7 hours away and he's my boyfriend so please help!

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on May 2, 2016 5:50 AM

1 reply

May 2, 2016 9:10 AM in response to katie22xo

there is one recommended step that I did not see listed so apologies if you have already tried this

1. Delete all the conversations with this contact in iMessage

2. Delete the contact info from contacts

3. Force restart the phone - Hold the sleep/wake and home buttons down together till you see  logo - then release and allow normal boot up

4. Then add the contact back in

5. IF your iPhone is at iOS 8 - please update to latest version

Also as there has to be connectivity on both ends for messages to work - it may have nothing to do with your device but his device may intermittently be losing connection to cell or data networks -

Can't send iMessages to 1 person unless they message first

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.