Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone doesn't detect my home wifi

Hi readers,

First I'd like to thank you for your time.

I have an issue with my iPhone. I usually resolve the problems im experiencing by myself but this time around i wasn't able to resolve the problem.

The problem is that my iPhone 6 does not connect to my home WiFi except for when I stand within 2 meters away from it. My router is not the problem because others can connect to my home WiFi and experience no problems. I have also checked if I can detect other WiFi connections by holding my iPhone next to another iPhone and then search for WiFi on both phones. My iPhone did not detect any connections whilst the other iPhone detected 3 WiFi connections. By doing these experiments i can conclude that the problem is indeed the iPhone and nothing else. Just to make sure, I have restarted my router several times with no luck.

It is very weird to me that I can detect my home WiFi if I stand within 2 meters from it, but when i walk away just a bit furthers, the connection drops. I used to be able to walk 10-15 meters away from my router and it would still connect.

Here is what I have tried to resolve the problem:

- Restarted my router

- Restarted my iPhone

- Hard restarted my iPhone by holding home and lock buttons for 10 seconds.

- Resetted Network settings. (NOT all settings)

- Enabled and disabled my WiFi assist.

- My iPhone is up to date with all software.

- WiFi networking was turned on and off without any luck.

Nothing had any effect and this problem is really getting on my nerves because I'm now forced to use my data from my data plan at home.

Any help is appriciated feel free to comment.

If more information is needed please ask and I will provide you with the information.

I'd like to thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Desperate iPhone user

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 2, 2016 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2017 9:10 AM

I have been having this exact same issue for a few weeks. The problem was manageable, and my wifi would only sometimes drop out on my phone until today when it finally decided to drop out all of the way. I can only get wifi within 10 ft of the router in my own home. I cannot pick up any other wifi networks around my home either. Both my iPad and laptop work fine on the wifi here. I have tried every suggestion on the list and still nothing has helped.

Thanks for your time.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2017 9:10 AM in response to iPhone M4C

I have been having this exact same issue for a few weeks. The problem was manageable, and my wifi would only sometimes drop out on my phone until today when it finally decided to drop out all of the way. I can only get wifi within 10 ft of the router in my own home. I cannot pick up any other wifi networks around my home either. Both my iPad and laptop work fine on the wifi here. I have tried every suggestion on the list and still nothing has helped.

Thanks for your time.

May 2, 2016 6:46 AM in response to iPhone M4C

Below are some general suggestions for Wi-Fi issues. I suggest starting from the top and working down, maybe they will help....

You may well have a phone antenna problem and may have to take it to an Apple Store for testing however I would try a Restore as it could resolve system issues.

1) Perform a Forced Restart: Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow device to restart.

2) Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.

3) Reboot Router/Modem: Unplug from power for 2 minutes and plug again. Update Router Firmware (check manufacturer’s support website for a newer FW). Also try different bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and different bandwidths (20 MHz recommended for the 2.4 band).

4) Change to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4

5) Disable device prioritization on the router if this feature is available.

6) Determine if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).

7) Try device at another Network, i.e., neighbors’, public coffee house, etc.

8) Restore the Device (ask for additional for details if desired).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

9) Go to an Apple Store for hardware evaluation.

User Tip: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-9892

Iphone doesn't detect my home wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.