Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro stuck on grey screen and won't boot. Please help!

Hello,

My 13" MacBook Pro (mid 2009) running Snow leopard (10.6.8), has finally given up and no longer wants to boot up.

I have tried starting in safe mode many times, but the loading bar doesn't move, and the laptop just shuts down completely.

I've also tried booting in single user mode with the command fsck -fy but this results in the following;

disk 0s2 : I/0 error

Invalid node structure

(4,35296)

** The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely.

/dev/rdiskOs2 (hfs)

Exited with signal 8

I'm assuming this means there's some corrupt files and something wrong with the hard drive?

My issue is that I have no time machine backups, so would like to know if it's possible to do something to get it up and running.

Failing that, I do have an external drive with my main important files and photos on, so is there a way to completely wipe the computer so I can at least sell it?

I really need some help on this as I've been driving myself slightly crazy trying to figure it out!

I'm not all the technical when it comes to the hardware. I have tried doing research and have seen things suggesting that I should reinstall the OS X, would this involve putting in the discs that came with the laptop upon powering up?

Any advice greatly appreciated! 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 2, 2016 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 9:04 AM

Boot off the DVD and run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Then re-install the OS.

When you reboot, use Setup Assistant to restore your data.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2016 9:04 AM in response to cinnamon812

Boot off the DVD and run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Then re-install the OS.

When you reboot, use Setup Assistant to restore your data.

May 6, 2016 5:33 AM in response to Eric Root

I think my disk drive is having a hard time as it sounds like a jet engine!😮 But seems to be working as the install DVD is running. Tried to repair disk, as repair permissions was greyed out, but no luck with that. Currently erasing the disk(zero out data) which is taking a while! But after that how do I get to the Option button to select GUID?? This bit is confusing me. Could I just quit disk utility, and then boot up the disk again to reinstall OS X?

May 6, 2016 6:56 AM in response to Eric Root

Oh dear, I seem to have made myself more problems! I just tried to install snow leopard from the disk but it said it couldn't install. I realised that I actually erased the Macintosh HD, instead of the disk that appears above that?! I'm guessing that's not right? Now what was called Macintosh HD just says disk0s2 and says not mounted. What can I do? Help appreciated.

May 6, 2016 9:17 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your reply! I looked at the links you posted but I may have got somewhere without using terminal. On the partition that was called disk0s2 I clicked repair disk and I can't remember exactly the words that came up, but there were some red lines of text saying something about needing minor repairs... Eventually I got a line of green text saying the the hard drive had successfully been repaired! And the partition changed back to Macintosh HD. I clicked mount from the toolbar at the top, then Quit disk utility. I then reinstalled the OSX and all seems to be well. No spinning wheel of death anymore. So relieved!

thanks for your time and effort in helping me solve my problem! 🙂

MacBook Pro stuck on grey screen and won't boot. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.