Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem detecting external monitor

I have a Mac Mini (late 2014) which doesn't see the external display (attached via HDMI). There is a "detect displays" button on the Display Preferences pane which in later versions of Mac OS X became hidden, but can be revealed with the Option key. Hower, on this particular Mac nothing happens when I press the Option key (but it works fine on all my other Macs). I am running l Capitan. Any thoughts ?

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), null

Posted on May 2, 2016 7:24 AM

4 replies

May 2, 2016 7:45 AM in response to tonydenson

Try resetting the SMC

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

You are using the same cable that work with the other Macs, right?

With only this monitor connected do you see a boot screen?

If not then make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store since it appears you have a hardware problem.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

May 2, 2016 10:40 AM in response to lllaass

I have just tried resetting both SMC and PRAM, no difference.

No, I don't see a boot screen.

I will take it to the Genius Bar but I'm a little bit sceptical that it's hardware as I would have thought a button not appearing is more like software.

Incidentally I have 4 Mac Minis (all 2014) and I have seen similar problems on all of them, the screen not working after booting up, but usually after a bit of fiddling around it works. It just seems a very temperamental device in this area.

problem detecting external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.