Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sign in greyed out in App Store

Hi -- when I open the App Store, and pull down the Store menu, the Sign In choice is greyed out (as are many others). Why is that? Thanks!

--PDN

MacBook, 10.8.5

User uploaded file

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 2, 2016 9:30 AM

9 replies

May 4, 2016 6:01 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi -- I can't get to the Featured page -- its greyed out too. The only choice I have is Updates.

I think several months ago I was playing with Terminal commands, turning on and off the search index for some arcane reason (some software I was working with required me to do so -- using sudo commands I think -- I could look up my notes if need be) -- and something went wacky.

Now I'm trying to upgrade to El Capitan, but it gives me an error saying I can't download from the account I'm logged into -- try logging into a different account. (This could be because the computer was a gift from a family member who works IT at a big company -- they cycle thru lots of computers -- so the account is probably the IT guys account).

Hence the reason I'm trying to log into a different account.

Does this make any sense? Am I totally messed up?

One last question -- is there a way to download a fresh copy of the App Store thru a channel other than using the App Store?

And if so, how does one un-install the current App Store?

Thanks!

May 4, 2016 8:53 AM in response to prahas777

You would have to reinstall the OS to get a new version of the App Store.

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

In Finder hold down the option/alt key while selecting the Go menu item. Select Library. Then go to Preferencescom.apple.appstore.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you want to make your user library permanently visible, run the below command in Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

You will need to do that after any updates.

May 5, 2016 8:09 AM in response to prahas777

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

May 16, 2016 8:40 AM in response to prahas777

You are welcome.

Try resetting the App Store and Clearing Cookies.

Reset Learned from Old Toad

If that doesn't work, do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Then re-install the OS.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Sign in greyed out in App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.