Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation has stopped working

First enhanced dictation stopped working, then the basic one stopped working, then came back briefly, then stopped again, in the space of about 10 minutes. An hour or so later, basic dictation mysteriously returned, but enhanced dictation is still dead.

I've cycled between turning it off, the basic on, and the enhanced on, many times.

I've restarted the machine several times.

I tried adding and then subtracting other languages.

I cycled through the several different names for the microphone that showed activity.

I tried choosing different shortcuts; no dice.

I found an article that showed how to delete a cache that was supposed to fix this, but it didn't.

The little box beeps and pops right up when I click, but no dictation takes place. FOUR different com.apple processes related to speech are showing as active on the activity monitor, and one of them is drawing 182MB, but still no dictation.

I'd sure appreciate any help anyone can offer. I'm not a high-tech person, so please use words of one syllable, lol.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), null

Posted on May 2, 2016 7:31 AM

6 replies

May 2, 2016 8:53 AM in response to ImaSoCalGal

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - Mavericks

May 3, 2016 10:58 AM in response to ImaSoCalGal

New admin account - go to System Preferences under the  menu. When it opens, go the Users & Groups. Unlock the padlock by clicking on it. Then hit the + sign. In the new screen, in New Account, select administrator. Fill out the other details as desired. Quit System Preferences and reboot. Sign in as the user you just created. Test to see if Dictation is working there. If not, it is a system wide problem and not your user account.

Safe Mode - Shut down the computer and wait 10 seconds before restarting. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. See if Dictation works there. After testing, reboot normally.

May 4, 2016 1:39 AM in response to Eric Root

I greatly appreciate your continued efforts to help!! I tried doing the new admin account, but it asked me for a password that I don't have. I wasn't able to do the safe mode thing, because I don't have a startup chime. I have no idea how to disconnect peripherals or what a third-party application is. I'm afraid you're still way above my pay grade, LOL.

Can you possibly just give me some fixes to try for different situations, all in very, VERY simple language?

May 5, 2016 5:43 AM in response to Eric Root

I'm sure it's a great program… and I'm sure you understand my unwillingness to run anything on my computer that didn't come direct from an official software provider.

Can we please just accept that there is no way to determine exactly WHY the dictation stopped working? What I need are some fixes to try, ANY random fixes that have any chance of working. Thanks!!

Dictation has stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.