Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Type C to Type A conversion

Hi all. I have just bought a Seagate Innov8 USB powered hard drive. The Innov8 only has a USB 3.1 Type C output and my Mac Mini only has USB 2.0 Type A inputs. I have connected them using converter but the Seagate red light stays on , indicating low battery, and the Seagate drive does not appear in Finder. Is there some technical issue here I am not aware of, or is it likely the Seagate drive is broken? USB is backwardly compatible, but is it possible the Mac Mini isn't providing enough power to the Seagate

Thanks for any help.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 2, 2016 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:08 AM

What model Mini?

What specific "converter"?

Yes, some USB ports do not provide sufficient power. The USB 3/3.1specs require the port provide more power than a USB 2 port.

21 replies

May 2, 2016 8:13 AM in response to PhilipAC

PhilipAC wrote:

Is there some technical issue here I am not aware of, or is it likely the Seagate drive is broken? USB is backwardly compatible, but is it possible the Mac Mini isn't providing enough power to the Seagate

Thanks for any help.

Are you using the drives external power supply adapter....?

User uploaded file

Because it should work using a straight Type C to USB cable, unless either the external power supply or drive enclosure is bad.

May 2, 2016 8:19 AM in response to den.thed

den.thed wrote:

PhilipAC wrote:

Is there some technical issue here I am not aware of, or is it likely the Seagate drive is broken? USB is backwardly compatible, but is it possible the Mac Mini isn't providing enough power to the Seagate

Thanks for any help.

Are you using the drives external power supply adapter....?

The Innov 8 does not have one. It is powered by the USB C port on the computer.

User uploaded file

May 2, 2016 8:46 AM in response to PhilipAC

Seagate says:

Hardware requirements

Connect your Innov8 to a computer with a USB-C port. This device has not been tested for use with USB 2.0/3.0 Type A ports.

Important info regarding USB-C cables: Third-party USB-C cables can be faulty or defective due to improper materials and/or construction. Only use the USB-C cable included with your Innov8. Using third-party USB-C cables or, USB-C to USB Type A cables of any kind voids your warranty.

http://www.seagate.com/manuals/innov8/introduction/

May 2, 2016 9:32 AM in response to lllaass

Well, Apple sell a cable with a Lightning plug at one end and a USB Type C plug at the other, so I could connect the Innov8 Drive into my MBP which has a Lightning socket. I would then be able to transfer files from my MBP or another external drive into the Innov8. But of course that would only work if the MBP was able to power the Innov8 over the cable, and I don't know whether that is possible. Maybe the lightning socket on the MBP is not capable of powering anything in the way that a USB port can?

USB Type C to Type A conversion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.