Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Managing separate ids under family sharing

hello. I've had an Apple ID for years which I share with my iPad. I've just purchased 3 more iPhones, one for wife and one for each child. Kids currently have their own email addresses and I my wife uses mine. Question- can I use same Apple ID for each device but not get copied into each other's emails, pictures, apps and purchases. Also not picking up each other's texts? Please excuse my ignorance. I want to get them all set up before I dish them out!

Posted on May 2, 2016 6:58 AM

3 replies

May 2, 2016 5:26 PM in response to New user 2

New user 2 wrote:

hello. I've had an Apple ID for years which I share with my iPad. I've just purchased 3 more iPhones, one for wife and one for each child. Kids currently have their own email addresses and I my wife uses mine. Question- can I use same Apple ID for each device but not get copied into each other's emails, pictures, apps and purchases. Also not picking up each other's texts? Please excuse my ignorance. I want to get them all set up before I dish them out!

New User 2,

Before the iTunes Store introduced Family Sharing, people used to create a mess for themselves and their family doing exactly what you describe.

Nowadays it is much wiser to get each member their own ID, and tie together the family unit via Family Sharing:

Family Sharing: A new way to bring harmony to your family’s digital life.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201060

Managing separate ids under family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.