Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard disc completely erased when I tried to rename the disc. Anyone got any clues to what happened?

I'm using a Transcend external HDD (3T) with my Mac Mini. While working in Adobe Lightroom, I attempted to rename the external HDD when all of a sudden, the folders started disappearing faster than anything I could do. Within 2-3 minutes, approximately 2.2Tb of pictures were completely wiped out. At first, I thought for sure the files must be somewhere on the computer, but they were nowhere to be found. Not even in the trash bin. I opened the information panel of the drive and it showed that it was completely empty and that all 3Tb of its capacity was available. Anyone got a clue as to what happened and/or how to fix it?

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 2, 2016 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:10 AM

1. What has this to do with Pages for Mac?

2. It is highly likely that Lightroom has stored the files with the path name of the old disc, when you changed that you totally destroyed the Lightroom directory.

3. They may still be there, try putting back the old disk name

4. Find out how Lightroom manages its photo collections in the Adobe forums, not here.

Peter

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2016 8:10 AM in response to Runninghorse

1. What has this to do with Pages for Mac?

2. It is highly likely that Lightroom has stored the files with the path name of the old disc, when you changed that you totally destroyed the Lightroom directory.

3. They may still be there, try putting back the old disk name

4. Find out how Lightroom manages its photo collections in the Adobe forums, not here.

Peter

External hard disc completely erased when I tried to rename the disc. Anyone got any clues to what happened?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.