Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Box with question mark shown for every character in OS X El Capitan

I have a MacBook Pro and just recently every single character on it (menus, folders, applications, etc) is shown as a box with a question mark inside, I've tried restarting several times and the problem persists. Does anyone have any recommendation on what to do to fix this?

Thanks!

Marco.User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, iOS 9.3, Operating System / Language Issue

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 11:22 AM

I would reinstall the OSX.

Ciao.

5 replies

May 2, 2016 11:21 AM in response to mvillasenor74

Given the desktop, I take it the OS is either El Capitan or Yosemite. First I'd try booting in Recovery Mode and see if that comes up ok. While in that mode, I'd run Disk Utility and do a Disk First Aid (Repair Disk on Yosemite) on the internal drive: the device and the volume. If on Yosemite, you can also Repair Disk Permissions. Quit and restart normally and see if things are fixed. If not, next to try would be starting up in Safe Mode. Wait till it finally finishes starting up and see if the problem is fixed, restart normally and see if the repair holds.

If not, then your system fonts are hosed and a reinstall is necessary. Restart in Recovery Mode and use the Install OS X option. Elect to install on the current system disk without erasing and your stuff should survive intact. If possible do make a backup beforehand.

May 2, 2016 11:21 AM in response to mvillasenor74

Please back up all data before proceeding.

Launch the Font Book application and validate all fonts. You must select the fonts in order to validate them. See the built-in help and this support article for instructions. If Font Book finds any issues, resolve them.

Start up in safe mode to rebuild the font caches. Restart as usual and test.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t start in safe mode. In that case, ask for instructions.

If you still have problems, then from the Font Book menu bar, select

FileRestore Standard Fonts...

You'll be prompted to confirm, and then to enter your administrator login password.

Also note that if you deactivate or remove any built-in fonts, for instance by using a third-party font manager, the system may become unstable.

Box with question mark shown for every character in OS X El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.