Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rule moving flagged messages to folder

I just want a very simple thing: That messages I flag be removed and placed on a folder of my choosing. How can I do this? Why is this basic function not yet standard in Mail as a button or something?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:59 AM

That's not the way Mail was set up with Flags. A flagged message can reside in any mailbox. You can send feedback to Apple and let them know what you want. They will read it, but not answer it:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

That also can't be done with a rule. Flags are an action of rules, not a condition. So rules won't work.

The flagged mailbox will show all flagged messages, but they will remain in the folder they reside in.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2016 8:59 AM in response to Hawkseye

That's not the way Mail was set up with Flags. A flagged message can reside in any mailbox. You can send feedback to Apple and let them know what you want. They will read it, but not answer it:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

That also can't be done with a rule. Flags are an action of rules, not a condition. So rules won't work.

The flagged mailbox will show all flagged messages, but they will remain in the folder they reside in.

May 2, 2016 9:44 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Thank you, Glenn, very useful.

Research shows that the best way of processing the inbox is to deal quickly with those messages you can immediately eliminate, file or answer and to move those that require more work to a different box and/or make them projects and/or schedule them.

There is also research about the psychological effects of just keeping your inbox stuffed.

Apple Mail messages could easily converted to appointments in previous OS versions but they has gone backwards instead of advancing forward and now you have to waste time dragging messages to calendar. Very time consuming when you receive plenty of mail. Multiple users have asked for this feature. Are they reading?

I will try again.

May 2, 2016 10:05 AM in response to Hawkseye

Yes, I don't like to keep anything in an inbox unless I'm still working on them. I move them to other mailboxes when done with them. There may be other criteria you can use to move messages other than flags. That would depend on the criteria messages you want moved though as to whether or not it can be easily done.

I've never converted messages to appointments before. You can set it to automatically add invitations to Calendar under Mail's general preferences. If you have Reminders open, you can drag email message to it. Not sure if either of those would help you or not.

I'm sure if enough people send feedback, they might listen. There may be other Mail applications more advanced on features that might suite you better, such as Outlook. You might look into that.

You might even find extensions you can add onto Mail to enhance features you might want. That might be a better option to look into.

Good Luck

Rule moving flagged messages to folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.