Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal

Hello everyone,

I would like to known how TERMINAL can be closed, in a manner that by reopening TERMINAL the same data is active.

I would also be happy to known a way how to quit TERMINAL so that the data (or is it a script?) is closed as an executable file.

To everyone who makes a contribution, my sincere thanks!

With kind regards,

laurent

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2016 8:02 AM

command + w will close the window

command + q quill quit the program

Have a nice day.

19 replies

May 2, 2016 1:09 PM in response to ldpenmm

The terminal provides access to the Unix layer of OS X.

I would like to known how TERMINAL can be closed, in a manner that by reopening TERMINAL the same data is active.

What do you wish to accomplish? What data do you want to be the same?

You can detach any command from the ownership of the terminal app and have the command run in the background by ending the command with &

example:

find / -iname "house" >output.txt&

I would also be happy to known a way how to quit TERMINAL so that the data (or is it a script?) is closed as an executable file.

Not sure what you want to do. Please give an example.

When you quit the terminal. The currently running command is terminated.

R

May 2, 2016 11:58 PM in response to rccharles

Hello Mr. Rccharles,

Thank you mr. rccharles for your reply.

Hope this is an answer for you to be able to give a solution at my question:

It is about a script that retrieves data from YahooFinance.

The script keeps running and continues every half hour to pick up the new value of the stocks and put them all in a text-file..

The script works perfect but every day I must input in Terminal the text of the script.

It turns out there should be a way to create an executable file from the script.

To make this possible I heard, it is it is necessary that the script in the terminal is terminated in a certain way.

So that one has just to double-click the .exe file.

Hopes this helps.

With kind regards,

L.

P.s. Sorry for my English witch is not my native language, also sorry for my IT-vocabulary because I am a layman in this world.

May 3, 2016 8:30 AM in response to ldpenmm

Translating your question into some slightly different terminology, this is not a question of Terminal.app or related, this appears to be a request for assistance with how to invoke some particular tool at login. Scripts and tools can be written in various different languages, but I'll here assume this is a bash shell script. If so, there are some different approaches and options available. Please take a look at what's posted there, and see if that makes sense or if you should have questions around what was suggested over there — or if one of the approaches listed there solves your requirements — and post back here.

May 3, 2016 10:59 AM in response to ldpenmm

1) I the input to the script very secretive? Why not post a screen image of you running the script?

Is the input the same everyday?

bash, the terminal, supports input from a file. Create a text file, myinputfile.txt, with the data in it. Then use the < operator to input the data into your script.

./myscript <myinputfile.txt

2) Place script in login items. I think the extension needs to be command. Might have to adjust things a bit.

Robert

May 9, 2016 9:30 AM in response to appreciate

appreciate wrote:

is there any terminal command to remove malware , root kits , pop ups , adware , spyware , dishonest ( rouge software ) downloaded without users consent .

A) this thread is not the place to ask that question. You question is off-topic and you are effectively threadjacking ldpenmm question. You should start your new thread.

B) OS X is not really a command line operating system. Vendors that make malware removal software tend to create GUI based packages. If you happen to know where all the bits of a malware package are hiding, you can use a terminal session to manually 'rm' various file, or if they have inserted themselves in a configuration file, edit said file. But to the best of my knowledge, no one is offering a command line based removal package. There would not be a whole lot of money in such an offering on OS X.

Terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.