Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.1.2 crashing

Hi,

I just installed the new iMovie 10.1.2 on my Macbook Air and it keeps on crashing. My Macbook is relatively new and the previous version of iMovie worked just fine, so I wonder what I could do to solve this problem.

Thanks!

iMovie (iOS), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:14 AM

11 replies

May 20, 2016 6:31 AM in response to louievn

After Google-ing for weeks, I've found a solution. Hope it works out for you guys as well:

I'm using a Nikon J1, the files aren't compatible with the new iMovie anymore. To solve this problem, open the files you want to use in iMovie with Quicktime and go to 'File' > 'Export' > 720p/1080p.. Then simply import these new files in iMovie & problem should be solved. For some reason iMovie does accept these files 🙂

May 21, 2016 4:38 AM in response to louievn

Thank you very much for your help. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ll see if it works. I use a Nikon D5200 and maybe that’s a compatibility problem. Anyway, I think that this “solution” is unacceptable when we think about an Apple product (of course I’m not criticizing you, but Apple). I mean, I do the shots and when I try to use the program I have to export and then use it… Shame on Apple. Anyway, thank you very much for your help!

Sep 10, 2016 1:11 PM in response to louievn

I am pasting my post below from another discussion group on the same subject. I am not using a Nikon! I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7

I have the same problem. I am running 10.11.6 on my iMac on which I have 8gb of memory (RAM) and plenty of storage. As soon as I upgraded to the latest version of iMovie 10.1.2 it crashes constantly, sometimes immediately but usually when I am half way through making and editing a movie. The old iMovie 8.0.6 worked so much better and was a superior and more intuitive product. Can anyone help?

iMovie 10.1.2 crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.