Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen is broken, can't back up my iPad mini

Hi all. The screen on my son's iPad mini is broken and will not respond to touch. It also consequently cannot connect to the internet. I need to get the screen replaced, but would like to back it up. However, I can't back it up using iCould (no internet or wi-fi). And I also can't back it up using iTunes connected to my computer (it asks me to enter the security code to unlock the device before backing up, and the screen does not respond to touch).

My guess is there is no solution for this, and this is a flaw that should be considered in future Apple iOS updates. There should be a way to do an emergency backup or just the ability to back it up without having to unlock the screen. To be honest, I don't really understand why they require this. It's like depositing money into a bank. They never ask for your ID. It's a good thing. Backing up your device...it's a good thing. Why require the passcode?

If there is a way to do this, I"m all ears and would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you.

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:04 AM

3 replies

May 2, 2016 8:09 AM in response to skywalterz

There is a narrow corridor in that scenario that works -

IF one has access to a computer where the device has been previously backed up - trying to do iTunes based restore brings forth a recognition of a known device with an offer of a final backup before erasing it - this message is displayed on the computer

As to the issues you raise - they have been discussed previously with comments both pro and con

The vast majority of us on this forum are all end users like you

Please send feedback to , if desired, at Apple - Feedback

May 2, 2016 8:48 AM in response to skywalterz

if the iPad was backed to that computer previously - try it over a couple of times and it may recognize it

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

If it keeps throwing that error despite a few attempts then - that is the practical end of the road - not sure of a viable workaround - I am sorry

screen is broken, can't back up my iPad mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.