Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I clear all files from my iPod Nano (6th Gen) and start over?

I can no longer manually sync all the files I need on my iPod Nano (6th Gen) from my Macbook (OS 10.6.8) because it's full. Rather than remove individual folders and songs on the Nano,which would take forever, I'd prefer to just delete the whole thing and start over by cleaning out the folder I keep in my iTunes (11.4) library and then loading the whole thing onto the Nano.

How do I:

(1) Delete all the music from the Nano?

(2) See in how much is in the iPod folder in my Macbook iTunes library so I know what to eliminate?

I know this must be a simple process but it's been a long time since I did it! Thanks for any help out there.

iPod nano (6th generation)

Posted on May 2, 2016 9:08 AM

8 replies

May 2, 2016 9:23 AM in response to mHuhn1

Thanks, mHuhn1.

Can you tell me why the iPod keeps thinking it's full even after I seem to have made plenty of room for the few new files I need to add by deleting old songs or folders? For instance, I just got rid of 120 minutes of songs in order to add 33 minutes of new material, so there should be enough room to squeeze in the 33 minute guys. But when I try to add them, the iPod refuses them. It's like there's stuff taking up room in the Trash, but the trash icon on my Macbook is empty.

Is there a way to figure out exactly how much room the iPod still has, so I know how many minutes to eliminate from the iPod folder on the Macbook? It's getting frustrating to try to sync and keep on being told it will only add as much as it has room for when it seems to have enough room!

May 4, 2016 5:01 PM in response to Turtlewiz

It's not based on "minutes." Songs (and other media) are encoded differently. A higher-quality encoding (with a higher bit rate "kbps" number) takes up more space compared to a lower-quality recording, for the same song. For example, podcasts and audiobooks are often recorded at a lower bit rate, so it takes a lot more "minutes" of a podcast or audiobook to take up the same space used by a typical song. Also, if you have photos on the iPod, they can take up space on the iPod that is not related to audio content. (A 6th gen iPod nano cannot play videos, so you won't have any video content on the iPod.)

To get a snapshot of the iPod's current content, select the iPod in iTunes (click its device button on horizontal bar) to show its settings screen in iTunes window. At the bottom of the iPod's settings screen, there is a Capacity Bar. It shows, at a glance, the types of media on the iPod and remaining free space.

If you want to "start over," do a Restore on the iPod using iTunes. This erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

May 4, 2016 5:16 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Kenichi: Thanks so much for explaining so clearly the difference between minutes and encoding--I appreciate it. I've been trying to load 11 audio files (MP3) I downloaded from the internet for a class and I can't get 3 of them to load, which was why I was trying to cull my song library (I don't have any other audio files) to make room.

Not knowing about encoding, I removed a number of playlists representing what seemed like enough "minutes"; when that didn't work, I thought maybe if I deleted everything and started fresh, there would somehow be enough room. But actually, I would like to not have to erase the iPod's current content, because even if I do that, I still won't know how to make room for all 11 audio files by removing songs or playlists before loading everything onto the iPod.

Since knowing how many "minutes" a song or playlist has apparently won't help me much, could you tell me how I can make space without the hit-or-miss process of restoring the iPod and then guessing how much, and what, to eliminate from my Macbook inventory (which might not even work, while I might just end up losing a lot of music I'd like to keep)? If it's any help, the capacity of the iPod is 7.35 GB; present used space is 7.22 GB.

May 4, 2016 6:07 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Not knowing about encoding, I removed a number of playlists representing what seemed like enough "minutes"; when that didn't work

Removing playlists does not necessarily remove the songs. Playlists are just lists of songs, not the actual songs. If the songs are on the iPod for another reason, such as being on a different playlist (that was not deleted), or being selected for syncing as part of an album or artist song list, those songs are still on the iPod.

How you remove songs from the iPod depends on the method you used to load them. Please describe how you load songs and other content on the iPod. Do you use the Manually manage setting; you "drag and drop" items from your library to the iPod in iTunes. Or do you set up the iPod's Music settings screen (in iTunes) to tell iTunes how to automatically Sync Music to the iPod.

May 4, 2016 6:34 PM in response to Turtlewiz

If the checkbox for Manually manage music is checked on the iPod's Summary settings screen in iTunes, your iPod is currently not using automatic syncing. Here's how to removes songs (and other content) manually.

Select the iPod in iTunes (click its device button on horizontal bar) to show its settings screen in iTunes window. Along the left side (in the sidebar), under On My Device, select Music. To the right, the iPod's song list is shown. Select a song you want to remove and press Delete on the keyboard. You can do this with more than one song selected at the same time. If you have other content to remove, such as podcasts, in the sidebar, select that category under On My Device. And do the same thing.

Keep an eye on the Capacity Bar at the bottom of the iPod's settings screen. Once you have enough free space to fit those audio files, you can try manually adding those files again.

NOTE: Not sure what you are describing about playlists, but IF the iPod is set to Manually manage music, removing playlists from the iPod definitely will not remove the songs. Songs can be on the iPod by themselves without being on any playlist. So, removing the playlist just removes the playlist. The songs stay on the iPod.

If you want a better way to manage what is on the iPod, you should set up automatic syncing using playlists to select what is loaded on the iPod. Then, when you want to change the iPod's songs, you can just update those playlists (in your iTunes library) by adding and removing songs. The iPod does not need to be connected. The next time you connect the iPod, iTunes automatically updates the iPod with the same changes. If you want more info on how to set this up, please post back.

How do I clear all files from my iPod Nano (6th Gen) and start over?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.