Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP randomly started shutting down without warning

Recently my MacBook Pro has started shutting itself down (battery dying) without giving me so much as a warning. It happens at around 40-50% battery, and it completely dies, all unsaved work is gone. Even pressing the battery indicator on the side does not light up.

When I plug it back in, it still says it has as much percent left as when it died.

It has not "gradually" started doing this - it just spontaneously shut down one day and has been doing it ever since, for almost a week and a half now. I've tried resetting the PRAM and SMC to no avail. I haven't tried erasing and restoring, and I will only do that as a last resort.

Why is this happening? How do I fix it?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 2010 13-inch, Custom SSD

Posted on May 2, 2016 9:25 AM

3 replies

May 2, 2016 9:28 AM in response to Neo399

Your battery may be nearing end of life

Hold the Option key down -  - System Info - Power (in left column) - can you please post what is mentioned about battery information after removing any personal information?

Also there are reports of occasionally older batteries swelling and causing issues - so I would get to this with some sense of urgency if possible

May 2, 2016 9:52 AM in response to ManSinha

The battery shows up as normal. It is swelling though so it really should be replaced. From the looks of it, it’s been replaced already.

I don’t want to replace it, because I’ll be selling it soon to get an rMBP. Is there anything I can do to make it work normally even though it is in a degraded condition already?

MBP randomly started shutting down without warning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.