Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro freezing when editing with FCPX

Hello all,

First time here. So here goes:

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). It's 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5Intel with 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM and Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB.

After about half-an-hour of editing on FCPX (10.2.3), my laptop completely freezes and doesn't respond. I have to cold boot to start the machine again.

I took it to Apple and they said my model cannot edit 4k, or in some cases 1080p footage. That sounds completely ridiculous to me and I think it's a problem with this particular machine.

Is anyone else editing 4k and 1080p footage on a Macbook Pro with similar spec?

Thanks,

J

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 2, 2016 9:57 AM

2 replies

May 17, 2016 4:05 PM in response to jhussein

Hi, i have the same issue, i have an early MBP 13' Retina (I7, 500gb hard drive,16 gb memory) and it sometimes freezes when editing GH4 4k files with FCPX 10.2.2, nothing respond, i have to stop it pushing down the power button. I never had this when editing Gopro 1080 files, it only happens with 4k files.

My FCPX library is on an external USB3 hard drive ... i know i already edited 4k without troubles, but my FCPX library was on my internal hard drive at this time ... there is maybe something to look at ...

Or, we maybe need something like a 15 inch MBP with I7 quadcore and a graphic card with dedicaded memory ... the problem with the 13 inch MBP, is that, they only have an Intel Graphic chipset that uses the main system memory, they dont have dedicaded graphic memory.

May 17, 2016 4:53 PM in response to seb2436

Hi,

Yes I too use a GH4 and shoot in 4k. But I've also edited files from a completely different camera at 720p... and the same thing happened! I also get problems with external or internal hard drive.

I don't know why it should struggle with 4k. I specifically bought the model based on the recommendations set out to use FCPX for 4k editing. I have a 2012 Mac, using FCPX 10.1.4 and that handles 4k fine.

I took my machine to Apple they were equally baffled and changed the motherboard, but it still has the same issues.

thanks,

Jamil

Mac Pro freezing when editing with FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.