Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to syncronise and back up with multiple apple devices, a Macbook Air and a Time Capsule

I have a recently purchased Apple Time Capsule, Apple Macbook Air and am trying to synchronise and back up 4 iPhones 6 and 5's, 3 x IPAD 2's and an IPAD air. Yep, I bought the whole Apple story over the years to try and keep things simple for my family....regretting that decision now though. Any help would be appreciated.

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, macbook Air, iPhones, IPads

Posted on May 2, 2016 9:17 AM

2 replies

May 2, 2016 10:28 AM in response to X40MAS

"I bought the whole Apple story over the years to try and keep things simple for my family"

It is.

Mac's and iOS devices can be synced and backed up using either iTunes (USB) or iCloud via Wi-Fi. In other words, via your Wi-Fi router.

For using iTunes > Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes using USB - Apple Support

iCloud > http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/

*** If you have problems with the links above not working, please try again later. The Apple moderators are aware of the problem and working on it

May 2, 2016 11:32 AM in response to X40MAS

With that many iOS devices you almost certainly do not want to back up to the computer - that is a lot of hard drive space. If each iOS device is registered to a different person (or at most 2 devices to 1 person) they can be updated to that person’s iCloud account. The 5GB of free space is just barely enough. However if there are more than 2 devices registered to one Apple account you’ll need to purchase additional space.

I have a 256GB MBA as well as an iPad and iPhone. I not only don’t back up my devices to it but I don’t sync/download my purchases to it. With a 256GB drive there’s just not enough space for all that data and applications.

Best way to syncronise and back up with multiple apple devices, a Macbook Air and a Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.