Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Mac Mail Message List Font grayed oput

I am running a 27 in iMac with retina 5k display. El Capitan 10.11.4. Actually I just purchased it. I am trying to set it up so I can see things without leaning right into it and squinting (lol) or having to adjust my resolution. I have found several places inside my most used apps, but in Mac Mail, when I go to Mail>Preferences>Fonts & color, I can see "Message List Font" but it is grayed out and will not let me change it. Why is that? Can anyone help me bypass this and any suggestions on making other system things larger would be great.

Thank you,

Kathy

iPhone 5, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 11:22 AM

Kathy,

In regard to your "Message List Font," question:

"The font and font size for viewing the list of messages in classic layout only (where the message list is above the messages). Click Select to use a different font."

Additionally, you do have another viewing choice available in System Preferences>Display>Scaled:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2016 11:22 AM in response to KathCobb

Kathy,

In regard to your "Message List Font," question:

"The font and font size for viewing the list of messages in classic layout only (where the message list is above the messages). Click Select to use a different font."

Additionally, you do have another viewing choice available in System Preferences>Display>Scaled:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 2, 2016 2:11 PM in response to KathCobb

KathCobb wrote:

But If I change the scale on the display, won't my display be distorted? Having a 5k retina display and then distorting it seems a little backwards......

You can easily experiment with the results. If you determine that the "distortion" is not suitable for your needs, just return it to the size you prefer.

User uploaded file

In Mac Mail Message List Font grayed oput

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.