Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 3rd party photo organisation / editing

Hi,

I would like to find out a bit more about organising and editing third party photos on the iPad Pro (specifically the 9.7"). I am looking for a device which can act as an all round every day companion for keeping a diary, sketching, web browsing, TV / Films / Music (all mainly via streaming, but some files stored on the iPad) and editing / organising photos when away from home.

I know the iPad can do all of the above independently, but everyone I have spoken to says organising third party photos is nigh on impossible.

Essentially I want to be able to:

- Transfer photos from a camera (micro SD card) to the iPad

- Pick and edit the photos I want to keep

- Save them to a folder on the device (like i would on my MacBook Pro)

- When back at home transfer them to the Mac and back up drive for safe keeping / printing.

Will the iPad pro have a simple file organisation system like 'Finder' any time soon?

At the moment, this, and the inability to run full Photoshop are swaying me to other devices, which I would rather not do as I use and like apple products!

My other query is whether the iPad will charge when being used with an external monitor. I know you can use external monitors, but will the device charge or is it game over when the battery dies?

Any help much appreciated!

Posted on May 2, 2016 9:44 AM

8 replies

May 2, 2016 10:04 AM in response to Monkey_Dale300

If you have a microSD to SD adapter, you can use THIS to get photos from your camera to the iPad. I believe you can choose which photos to import. You can create folders in the native Photos app. I believe this will sync to your iCloud Photos feed, so you should be able to access the photos on your Macbook Pro once you're at home.

I've heard good things about the "Duet Display" app for iPad. This allows you to use your iPad as a display, and yes, you can charge while using it.

May 2, 2016 10:18 AM in response to Monkey_Dale300

The only "reasonable" photo software I have found for the iPad is Pixelmator or some reduced version of Photoshop. I use Photoshop on my computer and the iPad versions are a far cry from the computer versions. Likewise Pixelmator is much enhanced for a computer vs. the iPad version.

Some comments below FWIW....

Monkey_Dale300 wrote:

you can do this with an Apple adapter

as you said, can be done with native software but editing is limited compared to computer options

to some extend but not as good as what you can do on a Mac

- When back at home transfer them to the Mac and back up drive for safe keeping / printing.

should be able to import them as you desire

Will the iPad pro have a simple file organisation system like 'Finder' any time soon?

cannot be done now. as to the future no one here would know.

May 2, 2016 12:27 PM in response to Monkey_Dale300

Why would you want to use an iPad for digital photography and image editing work when you have a much more complete and more robust setup with your MacBook Pro?

Your whole statement SCREAMS that I need a laptop workflow, but on an iPad.

That ain't gonna happen as iPads and iOS have a LOT or workarounds and limitation and unless you have been using iPads as a laptop/MacBook replacement, an iPad WILL be a step DOWN for you.

iPads runs on a mobile OS subset of OS X that is just not a powerful as OS X.

iOS is a much simpler conpact OS than you are going to be used to.

And Apple is in NO hurry about changing this. IOS and OS X share some commonalities, but do not look for iOS to turn into a hybrid iOS/OS X any time in the forseeable future.

This means no Finder desktop.

No file structure system.

Limited input devices meaning NO mice or trackpads.

You will see no full OS X version apps on iOS. iOS is too simplified an OS to allow for this.

So you are always going to have limited, and to whatever degree, scaled down versions of apps that have full OS versions.

There are apps and processes to closely approximate everything that you are currently doing on your MacBook Pro, but it is NOT the same experiences and procedures

I can give you my list of the things you would need to do what you need to do, but there is going to be a learning curve here.

I will supply a list in another reply just to give you my approach to to using an iPad as a laptop replacement, if you are interested.

It is different from what the few here have been telling you.

I do a lot of creative work and image and graphics work from my iPads, so I think I am better qualified to give you a list of suggested apps and accessory hardware that you are , probably, going to need.

But I am not going to waste my time with creating this list unless you think you really need an iPad from what you are doing, at this point.

Unless you have been using iPads from day one as a laptop/MacBook replacemenr (I have been doing this because I am more of a desktop computer guy and could never afford both an Apple desktop and laptop computer with the specs that I needed, so I have been using iPads as my laptop/MacBook replacement of choice) it's a different set of tools and thinking and way of working.

iPads are NOT complete laptop/MacBook replacements, yet, but they seem to be slowly getting to a more usable state, now with more and more improvements in hardware and more features in iOS.

I really do not think you are going to like the whole iPad/iOS experience unless you cab adapt, change the way you think and work now on a MacBook.

I do bot know how old your MacBook Pro is, but maybe you should invest in the new, recently released MacBook Pro models if yours is getting up there in age.

I think you are not going to like the workflow from a much more limited mobile device.

You have the better mobile device for what you want to do, now! IMHO.

Good Luck!

May 2, 2016 3:32 PM in response to Monkey_Dale300

I would like to find out a bit more about organising and editing third party photos on the iPad Pro (specifically the 9.7"). I am looking for a device which can act as an all round every day companion for keeping a diary, sketching, web browsing, TV / Films / Music (all mainly via streaming, but some files stored on the iPad) and editing / organising photos when away from home.

I know the iPad can do all of the above independently, but everyone I have spoken to says organising third party photos is nigh on impossible.

For images on a digital camera, you"ll need one of these.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode= 37

For any other images stored on a computer or iPad, you can use iTunes to copy or sync them from iPhoto/Photos app on a Mac or PC.

Another way to move images and videos back and forth between iDevices or iDevice and computer I use an app called

Photo Transfer App

https://appsto.re/us/SQ8Wv.i

You choose to do basic image editing in the iOS Photos app and/or use different image editors to get different effects and filters and text on your images.

The closest Photoshop equivalent on iOS is Pixelmator and it's is close in functionality is very camparable to its OS X version which you should purchase for your Mac, also, because it is a very good and very inexpensive Photoshop replacement for most image editing needs.

Pixelmator's UI is laid out very close to Photoshop's.

You need have both the OS X and iOS versions of Pixelmator. Pixelmator is very well developed image editing and painting app.

https://appsto.re/us/lUBh3.i

The OS X version of Pixelmator is on the Mac App Store.

Also, speaking of good image editors that are a good and inexpensive Photoshop replacements on the Mac side, go to the Mac App Store and check out

Affinity Photo

by Serif Labs. Here"s a link to their website.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

Have some other apps for doing things to images quickly to search for on the iOS App Store.

Photogene and/or Photo Toaster

Filterstorm

ReType

Another must have app if you want to expand the amount of fonts in iOS that can be made available to apps.

AnyFont

https://appsto.re/us/Iwa-W.i

The Photos app on both iOS and OS X are poor photo organisers.

The iOS Photos App is not very good for photo organisation.

If you want to freely and easily organise your images in folders and sub folders look at this app called

HD Photo Sort

https://appsto.re/us/E98bw.i

Backup your images to iTunes on a Mac or PC and on the Mac, you have the option of importing your iPad images to iPhoto/Photos App

OR

If you use the Photo Transfer App or HD Photo Sort Apps, you can store images on your computer wherever you like.

As I stated earlier, I wouldn't hold my breath for this. Apple has no current plans to merge iOS and OS X into a hybrid OS for their mobile iDevices.

So, put this out of your mind.

At the moment, this, and the inability to run full Photoshop are swaying me to other devices, which I would rather not do as I use and like apple products!

My other query is whether the iPad will charge when being used with an external monitor. I know you can use external monitors, but will the device charge or is it game over when the battery dies?

iPads do sort of "trickle charge" over USB, but I have no clue if the iPad would keep charged fast enough when using an iPad as a wireless monitor.

If you use your iPad as a second monitor or as Wacom Cintiq-like visual drawing tablet for your Mac, when the battery dies the iPad dies and needs charging.

Good Luck!

May 3, 2016 3:44 PM in response to Monkey_Dale300

Thank you all for your detailed responses! Essentially it sounds like if you are photographer then this set up is not the way forward. However, if you would like to use the iPad to do basic editing, it can be done, but requires a change in you way of working and either the card reader or usb adapter / usb cable to the camera.

I have had a good look at all the apps mentioned and they do seem to do what I require, but it does require a fair bit of setting up. As mentioned by 'Michel PM', this set up will be a major step down from a MacBook Pro / photoshop / Wacom, but it is not intended for doing proper shoots. It is more so that when away on trips photos can be 'thinned' down / selected, lightly edited and stored safely on something much smaller and lighter than a MacBook, then transferred over to the macbook when back home. At that point, if any heavy editing is required full blown photoshop will come into play.

Sounds like the two solutions for this are:

- USB 3 camera adapter / Photo Transfer App - to get photos FROM camera / computer to iPad

- Pixelmator / affinity photo or similar - for editing (pixel level as well)

- HD photo sort - for organising photos on iPad

- Photo Transfer app - for transferring back to computer to a specific file location

OR

- USB 3 camera adapter / Photo Transfer App - to get photos FROM camera / computer to iPad

- Lightroom - for editing (not pixel level) and organising

- Photo Transfer App - for transferring back to computer to as specific file location

BUT.. Although I have been finding some great stuff on Lightroom for iPad, I am not sure yet how it interacts with apps like HD Photo Sort and Photo Transfer. I know it can organise photos within the Lightroom App but I have yet to find out how to maintain that organisation when transferring them back to a computer.

In any case, I will work something out. An iPad will probably get bought as if it can do the above (all be it a bit convoluted) as well as all the other great things they offer, it must be a winner!

Hopefully this thread helps others with the same issues / questions!

Any further input much appreciated...

May 3, 2016 5:00 PM in response to Monkey_Dale300

FYI,

Affinity Photo is Mac OS X only. No iOS version.

Also, so you can actually see how much Pixelmator for OS X (and very simillar for the iOS version) resembles and functions almost identically to Photoshop, here's a link to the Pixelmator website.

I think you going to be very surprised and impressed by Pixelmator as well as its price for what Pixelmator is very capable of as a comprehensive image editor.

You don't have to stay stuck in the Adobe Photoshop frame of mind all the time.

Those PS skill are easily transferrable to Pixelmator's own workflow.

http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/

You"ll feel pretty much at home with Pixelmator on an iPad and iOS.

I absolutely love Pixelmator as a Photoshop replacement/alternative on both OS X and iOS.

Pixelmator on iOS, has also been optimised to use the Apple Pencil, as well as, third party Bluetooth Smart stylii.

iPad Pro 3rd party photo organisation / editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.